Thursday, January 2, 2014

Why hello there, new year.

2013 and I didn't get along super well. I learned a thing or twelve from Sayville, so I would feel ungrateful if I didn't acknowledge all the amazing things that have rocked our Wiggy world...but in the deepest parts of my soul I just want to leave this year in the dust with a big fat, "good riddance."
 
2011 shot us into the heart world and 2012 found us in open heart surgery and such, so my hopes were high that 2013 would be the dreamiest, you know? But then the miscarriage from hades happened (and kept happening!) and as I look back I see a year that was consumed, from very start to very end, with getting my body healthy again. It's been a full year since everything happened and I thought I'd be further along in the process by now. But I'm not. Because that 2013, it just didn't want to give me any news that wasn't super lame.
 
A few days ago I was talking to my mom, who was as positive as ever and said, "I'm so excited for 2014--it's going to be a great year!" and the whole thing just really caught me off guard. You're excited? A great year? I could feel the cynicism rushing through my veins because sadly, I've started believing that something awful is waiting for me just around the corner. It's almost like I'm scared to hope for a great year because when it goes south, shoot--it's going to hurt all the more. But let me tell you, that is no way to live a life. So for the past few days I've given myself little pep talks (and cool downs) and finally come to terms with this 2014 thing, whatever the heck it brings. Not only have I come to terms with it, but I think there's finally some excitement a-brewing. The whole process has been healing and empowering and exactly what I needed at the end of one year and the beginning of the next. 
 
So dearest 2014, I welcome you into my life, as you have welcomed me into yours. Let's be nice to each other, ok? 
 
I took the boys to Times Square on New Year's Eve. We absolutely were not going to wait all day and night to see the ball drop (you have to be in your place and can't leave after 3 pm!) but I wanted to show them what it was all about. Plus, the visitor center has next year's ball on display which I thought would be cool to see.

We also submitted our wishes for 2014 on pieces of confetti that were dropped onto Times Square at midnight. The boys both want to see "Newsies" in 2014 (Ever copied T in the wish department) and my wish? Well, I bet you can guess.

James and I went out on a hot date after celebrating an early New Years with the boys (early meaning they were in bed by 7--napping problems are still abundant around here!) It was so, SO fun to go out together!

Our friends hosted a NYE party at their home and everything about it was perfect and beautiful and I'm so glad we got to go. I'm also so glad that James sang to me on our walk to the party while I filmed him and people stared at us like we were drunk. It was just the best moment, maybe topping my list of awesome moments in 2013 :)

 Noise makers, which we used in full force when the clock struck midnight!

I was totally obsessed with these glasses and this fun couple. We were lucky to be surrounded by so many great friends this year!

I always cry at midnight. The ball drops and bam, tears are streaming down my face. Most of it has to do with seeing the camaraderie between all those crazy people who camp out for hours to experience Times Square at midnight and then achieve their common goal. Silly, I know, but it's true. This year was magnified because we watched the ball drop on our friend's TV while also watching the Central Park fireworks out their window. No, I don't believe there was a better place to ring in the new year.

1 comment: