Thursday, February 13, 2014

life lately and mostly the weather


I've found myself drinking an awful lot of hot chocolate lately. What's a girl to do when it's fa-reezing outside all. of. the. time? The boys have come to expect it, and every time we come in after bracing the frosty elements it's not "can we have some hot chocolate?" but instead "I'll hang up my winter coat while you make the hot chocolate." And mostly, I'm all, yep. Because drinking hot chocolate on a daily basis is one of the only redeeming factors of this kind of weather.

The weather. The weather. Sometimes I feel like that awkward relative who only talks about the weather. But uhhhh, the weather. We're going to Florida soon, it's currently 80 degrees there--take that Nueva York. I think that our impending trip has saved me during the last few weeks when I thought I might actually die from hating the cold so much. But instead, I've thought--beaches HQ, live for the beaches!

Talmage read something I wrote for the first time the other day. I went to cook dinner and peered into the living room to see him cuddled up on the couch with the computer on his lap, smiling while he devoured my latest work. He saw me watching him and said, "Writing makes you happy, ha Mom" and for some reason my eyes welled up with tears, because yes T, writing brings me so, so much joy and you can read now and we can share it, and how cool is that? Gosh, I have loved my kids being tiny but there are some definite perks about them growing up. This is one of them.

Another fun thing about T growing up is having hilarious conversations with him, like this one that happened while James was bearing his testimony at church:
T: Hey Mom, when people talk at church it's supposed to be about God, right?
Me: Yes.
T: Oh, cuz Dad's up there talking about the law...I need to tell him that he's doing it wrong!

Or this one with Ever Knight too, after a family home evening lesson on Christianity:
Me: Do you boys have any questions?
Ev: Uh...I spy wif my widdle eye...Jesus! His wast name is Cwist.
T: I have a question...what does the fox say? {both naughty boys erupt in laughter!}

James and I are taking salsa dancing lessons. It has to be the best Christmas present ever (to me, from him), matched only by the Killers tickets I got him last year. Remember how we went to that concert in the dead of winter and we were wearing short sleeve shirts? The weather. The weather. I love you California. So, last night we had our 3rd dancing lesson with the best Dominican teacher one could ever hope to find and I've got to admit we are improving. slowly. slowly. slowly. I've got the hips but can't hear that conga drum to save my life and James can hear the beat, but hips are a no-go in his department. Basically we are having a blast but may win an award for the most awkward dancers in the lot. We're currently searching for a salsa bar so that we can show off our moves.

Which brings me to preschool. Cancelled today. The weather. The boys are currently at the table playing with a huge blob of bright blue sparkly play dough. Homemade, not by me. Thank goodness for awesome friends that give you half of their kids birthday dough!

And the toaster. Still sitting on my counter and still confusing.

Proof of something:

Just the weather out my window. Surprised I'd mention it again? Nah...

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE those conversations with the boys - they are growing at lightning speed, and I have to say, that as much as I loved having all you kids little in my home, I have continued to find great joy and contentment in watching my big kids be incredible people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing. So, so much! And holy moly...the weather!! I see pictures of it from everyone and I love looking at them..knowing I don't have to deal with it. because when NY has pretty snow its GORGEOUS...until you have to push you huge double stroller through it and the slush and the general nastiness. Enjoy Florida. And move to Houston. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I cracked up about Talmage and the testimony. I felt like Kohen's always said funny things but he's reached the older, truly funny stage for sure. There ARE perks of them getting older.
    Also, I totally feel you about the weather. I caught myself twice lately bringing up the weather and felt so old and lame. But it's so true! (If you didn't know, we are in Chicago). I used to not like hot chocolate but have been drinking it much more often too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha your kids are HILarious! I love the crazy things they say.

    ReplyDelete