Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thursday Thoughts because I wanted to write on Monday

I really wanted to write on Monday, like really, really. I didn't have anything especially important to say, except that I was having a wild craving for crepes with Nutella and ordered a whole lot of peanut butter from Costco, but still I wanted my fingers touching the keys something fierce. But that Miss Quinn, have I mentioned she's a little, er, sensitive? I was telling my Super, who seems to only see her when she's screaming at the top of her little lungs, that she is very particular about things and he said, "She's a woman, what do you expect?" (Make sure you go back and read that quote in your best Polish accent for good measure.) I hate to think it's a girl thing, but Quinn, we have got to figure this out girlfriend! If I put her in a pack she wants to be coddled in my arms, but boy if I try to coddle her and she wants to be lying flat on my legs she's going to pitch a heck of a fit. And don't EVER try to put her down. EVER. I made that mistake yesterday when I was trying to help T and his friend Rohan make turkey hats (pinterest for the win) and I thought that baby's eyes might bug out of her head. Rohan's the baby of his family and he told T, "Your sister cries a lot!" and T replied, "You haven't even heard the worst of it!" That's the truth, because you haven't heard crying until you've heard a bathing Quinn. Wow!

So...that's why I didn't write on Monday. Because bouncing that baby is an all-consuming job and turns out I'm pretty good at it. What I'm not pretty good at? Writing while I'm bouncing. But holla! Quinn fell asleep on our way home from picking up T at school and as soon as we busted through our front door and hot chocolated the children (because hello again Winter, you uninvited guest, you) I pulled out the computer and started typing this nonsense. Therapy. Keyboard therapy. She squawked and I binky-ed her and she took it. Hallelujah choir folks!

Maybe if I would've written on Monday things would've sounded a little more interesting around these parts. But alas, I have Thursday brain and I know that in no time I'll be simultaneously nursing a baby and frying some rice (and rocking both, mind you) so I better start writing. Here we go...

***Kindergarten is gross. The stories of sickness that come home with T are unreal. "My friend "A" went to the bathroom and then he came out and said, 'Whoa, that came out really fast' and then he went to the nurse and she sent him home. It's called diarrhea Mom." Oh, and another favorite. "My friend "L" was coughing so hard today he couldn't breathe. He sounded like a duck 'quack-cough quack-cough' and he had to go to the nurse. She told him his throat was really red and he had to go home. I know because he told me all about it before he left." Great T, just breathe in all those nasty germs. I hate winter.

***Let's talk about winter for a second here, since it's my most favorite thing to talk about from about mid-November until April (NOT! Well, kind of). I know it's technically not winter yet, but I dislike fall and it's cold weather just as much. New York's spring has a pretty bad rap in my book too. Anyway, so I was watching the news last night and the weather lady said, "The weather is going to warm up and tomorrow it'll be about 30 degrees." I'm just sayin, 30 degrees and warm should never be in the same sentence.

***Talmage, on the way home today: "We had a substitute for music. His name was Mr., well, Mr. Something and he's so cool! He plays the cello and he can play 5 Beatles songs AND Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Good to know that Beatles songs and Twinkle, Twinkle are in the same category of coolness. He did say he was disappointed that Mr. Something couldn't play any Killers songs, I would've loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

***And lest you think Talmage is the only one saying clever things, Everett tells me, "You are the mainest Mom in the world. That means you are the goodest cooker of hot dogs!" And also, "Do you know how much I love you Mom? 2 plus 10!" In preschool today they were learning about making amends after making mistakes and Everett yells out, "I NEVER make mistakes!" This from the kid who hit his friend in the face with a baseball bat because she's a girl. Yes, one of our finer moments from that spicy boy.

***But now let's go back to T, who recently told me that vegetables were his favorite type of protein. In the same conversation he told me that when he grows up he wants to be a construction worker, writer and crayon factory worker. This is a change because for the longest time he wanted to work at Trader Joe's so he could organize things! And when his friend Grace told him that she wanted to marry him someday he responded matter-of-factly, "No, I'm pretty sure we have to marry our line partner."

Well, there you go. The boys are in their room singing, "We are family, I don't know my sister Denise!" (AKA I've got all my sisters and me...) and I better go get things ready because, squeal, California here we come! Commencing cute Quinny photo dump now:

 How I live for Quinn's smiles. I love that girl so, so, so much. Screams and all!

 But keepin' it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment