Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Please try and never grow up

T's stories don't find their home on this blog quite as much these days. I'm learning how to parent an almost-teen and part of that is respecting and protecting him. When my babies were little it was easy and darling to show their temper tantrums right alongside their first ice cream cones and I'm by nature an over-sharer (a quality I sometimes adore and sometimes regret), but now that he's older--and frankly, me too--I'm learning more about when and how to hold back. He's 12, almost a teenager, so his joys and his sorrows are at an almost-adult level, and those just don't seem fair for me to share on here in as much detail. But lest anyone equates lack of content with lack of adoration, well that's just exactly the opposite. We LOVE our Talmage Scott! And he is loving life right now--so, so much. He is literally THRILLED to be back in school, he's made some really good friends, he's running cross country and following baseball like it's his job (and he found out it could be his job someday, which sent him over the moon). He is a good and kind boy, he's both rational and sensitive, he loves Juniper more than just about anything and is addicted to sweets. A few days ago I could tell he was getting a little bit emotional as I talked about how our family is getting older, so I sent the other kids away to investigate. T looked at me, little tears in those same big brown eyes that have held me captive for years and said, "I want everyone to stay exactly as we are right now. It's perfect and I love it. I don't want it to change." Is that not music to a Mama's ears? I mean, he's not wrong. Life if beautiful in a million different ways and we are soaking up and grateful for the perfection--but for a tween to recognize it? Well, that's something special. And to think--I've had those same "stop time" desires dozens of times in the past when babies were learning to walk or read or losing teeth and I can't imagine if it had actually worked and I'd have missed out on the beauty of our life right now. Things are constantly changing and it can feel both uneasy and exciting (especially if we particularly like where we're currently sitting) but life is the most amazing adventure and living it is such a gift. There are good things to come for T, and me, and the whole Wiggy fam--of that I am sure. But for now, I am so grateful that T loves his life right this instant. 




No comments:

Post a Comment