Thursday, December 6, 2012

Where have I been?

Pregnant. Pregnant and very, very, very sick.

But my story doesn't stop there. No, it never is that easy. My stories always have some crazy curveballs that knock me right off my feet. Especially in the baby department.

From the second I saw those two pretty lines I was nervous. "What would it be this time around?" I wondered on an almost daily basis. T had brain trauma. Evie a heart defect. What health condition would this child bring to the table?

I wanted to believe those positive people that told me things like "third times a charm" and "next time it'll be so easy," but I just couldn't see myself blissfully taking a healthy child home from the hospital.

So when my ultrasound at 8 weeks was irregular, and when my Level 2 ultrasound a few days later confirmed the diagnosis, I wasn't all that shocked. This sweet child was diagnosed with ectopia cordis, an extremely rare condition where the heart is growing outside of the body. The prognosis is grim--most babies don't make it to full-term and if they are delivered, there is little hope of survival. We painfully started to plan for another trip into the heart world.

The last 5 weeks have been long and excruciating. My physical ills were matched in intensity only by the emotional marathon running in my mind and heart. I threw up all day and had nightmares all night. I have lived horizontally on my couch, sharing saltines with two innocent little boys and feeling guilty all the while--guilty for laying on the couch, guilty for producing sick babies, guilty for not doing the dishes, guilty for having yet another pity party. The list could go on forever. I would fear everyday that I had lost the baby, and twice those fears led me to the drs. office where an ultrasound was performed and a strong heartbeat was witnessed. When I was inching towards week 12 I finally allowed myself to take a breath and I was finally coming to grips with our new reality. I could do this, I would do this, I had no choice but to do this.

And then last week I had a day where I only threw up once and had the energy to take a shower. "You're almost 12 weeks," I reminded myself as I started to panic. "Normal people get better after the first trimester...there's light at the end of the tunnel." But that darn feeling wouldn't leave me.

At my regular OB appointment on Monday I told the doctor that I was more afraid I had miscarried than I was of having another heart baby. And as she put the doppler on my stomach and we heard the ugliest silence my ears have ever witnessed she said, "You sure know your body, don't you." The Level 2 confirmed it and I left the office in tears. 13 weeks pregnant and I had miscarried.

You would think that knowing you are going to have a terminally ill baby would make miscarriage easier, but I'm afraid that's not the case. Instead, I feel like my heart and brain are playing ping-pong with my emotions, and during each play I feel hurt, sad, relieved, guilty, hopeless, robbed and mad. And not just about the miscarriage, but about my seemingly inability to have a normal, beautiful, joyous, happy pregnancy and delivery. I'm still trying to work it all out, and I assume I will be for a while.

I sobbed my way through a D and C. Bless the hearts of the doctors and nurses caring for me! The second I had medicine in my body the floodgates opened and my true emotion betrayed my "I'm fine, I can't change it, it'll be ok" attitude. I would make a horribly soppy drunk! I remember telling the nurses, "I'm just so sad. I worked so hard for 13 whole weeks to keep that baby healthy. And now it's gone." I hurt even typing those words. I hurt for the girl that said them. She tries to act strong, and darn it she is strong, but in that Operating Room with a little help from an IV she was truly mourning.

And now, life needs to get back to normal. But normal doesn't ever quite feel normal after life changes. So I'm inviting writing back into my life, which is a normal I've missed these past 5 weeks. That's a start. And hopefully when I release some of these emotions through my fingertips I will feel a little more like me again.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Heather, that's a lot of challenge and heartbreak. You are strong -- so strong. Sending prayers of healing, strength and love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you are writing. This was a beautiful and honest piece of writing, and again, my heart has and continues to ache terribly for you. keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I am so sorry. My heart aches for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO very sorry for this blessed trial you are going through, I can call it blessed because I have walked your path. Not many people up here know that we lost our 3 baby and that Luke is truly our 4th child. If you look back at my blog in November 2009 you will be able to see my story and all the emotions I had at the time and know that you are not alone. I can say that it doesn't ever go away that empty feeling, but it most assuredly is maid easier to bare by the wonderful truths of the gospel.Take time to allow yourself to feel every stage of grief and know that it is normal to feel the way you do. If you ever want to talk just call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Heath,

    I'm sorry sweetie. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm sorry that for some reason pregnancy and childbirth isn't the "normal, beautiful, joyous, happy" that it sometimes seems to be for EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. I definitely get that. I get the hurt, sad, relieved, guilty, hopeless, robbed and mad ping-pong game, too. I'm sure your game is much much different than mine, but I'm so sorry any of those emotions have to be linked to trying to bring a new spirit into your home.

    Anyway, I love you tons and I've been thinking about you the past few weeks. I'm sorry this is the reason you've been MIA. Call me sometime if you feel like talking.

    love love love love from far away down here in Houston

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love you! I am so sorry for your loss and thank you for your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, I wish I could hug you, and bake you something! We love you and miss you so much. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. My heart is aching for you and James. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and positive. I think there must be a line of children in Heaven who know what an awesome family you have, and the amazing amount of love you can give them. And they are willing to go through whatever is necessary to get to you. Hugs and love! -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I have been crying a lot for you this evening. Much love sent your way, and our prayers. You are such a wonderful, brave mother. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, you are truly blessed by our Heavenly Father. I know your pain and emptiness, I lost 3 babies between Caitlyn and Meaghan, and you never really get over the feeling that you did something. But your beautiful boys are so lucky to have a great mom like you. Know that your big cousin Vicci loves you all very much, and please call me if you need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much everyone for your comments, support and love. I am just so blessed, plain and simple. I love you all!

      Delete