Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Chief Buffalo Tiger

The boys are asleep and I'm sitting on the couch eating apple slices dipped in peanut butter and speculoos. The PB's for protein and the speculoos for no other reason than have you tried speculoos, because if you have to ask why then I'd have to believe you haven't. I've got my mom hooked on the stuff too, a feat that has left me smiling ever since my dad called on his way home from Trader Joe's with my mom's goods. It kind of sounds like a drug deal, right? That's what I thought. It is addicting.
 
So, eating food, boys are sleeping, oh yeah...maybe I should be productive and blog more about Florida. Because it was Talmage's birthday yesterday (happy birthday T!) and I should probably get a few of those details up here too for goodness sake.
 
The only thing that James was dead-set on doing while we were in Florida was exploring the Everglades on an airboat tour. I almost made him go alone for fear that T and Ever would become alligator bate but after calling Chief Buffalo Tiger a few times they reassured me that it was totally {mostly} safe, and shoot--tickets for kids were free, so there you go! We rented a car, tried to remember how to drive a car, and then drove to the middle of nowhere for one of the awesomest days ever!  
 
There are many airboat tours offered in the Everglades, but Chief Buffalo Tiger came highly recommended by the judge and had glowing reviews on Yelp. We had the very best of experiences with them and would definitely recommend it!

Sun-kissed T and Daddy getting ready for the ride.

I just found it slightly ironic that they had this alligator for kids to play with right next to this sign:

Right?

Me and my littles so ready for our adventure. We were the only ones on our tour that spoke English and both T and Ever kept the tour guides busy asking any and every alligator question that came to their mind.

This kind of explains life with my 2 boys--T is SO excited, and Ever unimpressed.

The first time we spotted an alligator I was shocked and ok, totally scared. Have I ever shared my probably irrational fear of like every animal in the world? I was sitting on the edge of the boat and we got so close.

The guides reminded us many-a-times that alligators brains are not big enough to train so, regardless of how many tours are done, these are completely wild animals. They even made us back up a few times because one of the alligators was attracted to the blonde, curly hair of a Spanish woman.

Ever and an alligator!

It was absolutely gorgeous in the Everglades. This is not a landscape I am used to, nor one that I'm particularly crazy about, so I was surprised that it literally took my breath away with its natural beauty. Pictures just can't do it justice.

James said his favorite part of the tour was watching me squeal with delight when the airboat really started going! It was way, way more fun than I imagined...and so fast!
 

Another alligator. This one may have been a little hungry!

T and the 'gator.

And then it started putting on a show for us. Mostly it wanted us to think it was cute and harmless so it could eat us for lunch. My opinion only!

And then all of a sudden we were surprised by another alligator, and T asked me to hold him tighter!

He swam right, right, RIGHT up to the boat.

And hopped in a mud bath of his own.

James and I wanted a good picture, T and Ever wanted to keep their eyes on the enemy ;)

A cool part of the tour was when we stopped at an island and they taught us a little bit about their Indian tribe and history. We loved it.

...and the weather!

When my boys are sitting next to each other I get asked all. the. time. if they're twins...and mostly I just think the people are crazy. But then I looked at these pictures and thought, wait a minute...

No, they don't look alike at all, do they?

Ok, yes...I think I get it. And since they dress themselves the same almost every morning it makes them look even more similar. So funny!

T still has a few inches on Ever though. For now!

After the tour the boys got to pick out alligator toys from the gift shop to bring home so they could always remember the trip. Somehow T's alligator ended up in the hotel pool once and nearly scared a lady half to death. Woops!

Thanks Chief Buffalo Tiger for such a great trip!

1 comment:

  1. Your florida trip looks so amazing, your comment about being scared of every animal cracked me up because I feel the same way, and speculoos.... mmm.. Love that stuff. Have you ever had those pretzel roll/bun(?) things from Costco? SO good dipped in that stuff. Then again, apples are a much healthier choice. :)

    ReplyDelete