Wednesday, October 8, 2014

And then came Quinn.


Quinn was delivered in a room full of women who fulfilled their doctor duties with the loving demeanor of midwives. My OB held me in her arms as the anesthesiologist placed my spinal, and then as my warm body melted into the table I saw a multitude of sisters surround me to carefully prepare my body to welcome our daughter.  I say our daughter, because as these women washed and cleaned me, asked how I was doing from over the curtain (and then laughed when I would say, "I'm great! How are you doing on that side?) and ultimately opened my womb in a miracle of modern medicine I quickly realized that sweet little Quinn belonged to every soul in that delivery room--and we were all better for it.  It wasn't all that long ago that stories like mine ended in tragedy, but these glorious doctors gave Quinn and I the chance to live our days together; they gave us life. C-Sections are not glamorous and they are not easy, but they are miraculous and my heart is so very grateful that they are possible. I've always craved the birth stories of ancient days where women would surround women in encouragement, love and support to bring life to earth, and in that Operating Room in New York City that was my exact experience in delivering Quinn. It was perfect.

Quinn's Daddy was the lone man in the Operating Room and not only did he allow me to drain his hand of all color when the pressure intensified, he also said prayer after prayer that his girls would be OK. Sometimes I am struck at what a great partner James is and how lucky I am to be with him--this was one of those times. That room would not have been complete without his presence, and I realized that I had something now that the women of yonder-years probably craved--their love by their side during the miracle of birth.

So Quinn is here. She's been here for a week today in fact. And oh what a beautiful, amazing week it has been. My world is looking a lot more pink these days, and feeling a lot more sweet. I've taken approximately a million pictures of my flower this week alone--be warned of future photo dumps! 

But for now, the simple announcement I've always wanted to give: 

 
 

Quinn Isabel Wigginton
October 1, 2014
8 lbs 13 oz
20 1/2 inches long

10 comments:

  1. I am overwhelmed with happiness of your "simple" announcement! It sounds beautiful and peaceful and empowering and just perfect! Congratulations Wigginton's! The Viles are beyond thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!' Heather you are such an incredible woman, wife and mother! I have always and continue to be inspired by your strength, compassion and love for your family and Father in Heaven! What a beautiful post to introduce sweet Quinn into the world. One lucky little girl she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS! She is here and she is beautiful! You have a little GIRL! Can you believe she came out of you--that she's the one that has been kicking and moving and now she's here and in your arms! I can't seem to get over the fact that we just grown them inside of us and then all of a sudden they're out and they're ours. I am so, so happy for you and oh how I wish I could come see her.

    I have my baby boy early Friday morning and I am so excited. I hope you're resting and healing well. C-sections are not glamorous and I am a little nervous but I am sure it will all be fine in the end.

    Enjoy these first few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congrats! SO happy for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Heather! I am teary with this sweet wonderful news! What a little treasure! SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I love a good birth story:) Girls are something else for sure and it's exciting you get to experience having both boys and a girl (no offense to my one gendered offspring friends, but I am SO glad I got some of each)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! What a beautiful little girl. You look so happy (and relieved)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She really is perfect and so so SO sweet! And beautiful! I may have welled up a little reading this (at my monthly blog catch up, sorry so late). All the congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather she is darling! What an amazing experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness!!!!! This is what happens when I don't blog since 1st January!!!!! The last I looked on your blog my heart was breaking for you. What wonderful news Wiggintons!!!

    ReplyDelete