Monday, December 14, 2009

Paris Day 3

December 11, 2009 (Talmage's 9 month birthday!)

Adventure #1: Place de Vosges

The oldest square in Paris, Place de Vosges is beautiful and very impressive. There is a big park in the middle with a children's area, benches for reading or eating lunch, and pathways to take a nice stroll.


Adventure #2: The Genius of Liberty statue by the Bastille

I won't lie and say I know the history or significance of this statue. We were walking to our next destination and it was big and beautiful so I pulled out my camera and made the boys pose. Really though, aren't you impressed?


Adventure #3: Notre Dame

Notre Dame is as beautiful inside as it is on the outside. The ceilings are SO high and it was so cute to watch Talmage's eyes keep going up and up. We tried to capture a picture of him arching his entire back (I had to hold his head for support) so he could take it all in, but unfortunately he hides from his paparazzi parents! It was a priceless moment.



Adventure #4: Sad faces (STRIKE!) and sympathy lunch


Do those faces look happy to you?
We came all the way to Paris and a good portion of the monuments/museums on our to-do list were closed because of the strike.
Pompidou Center: CLOSED.
Notre Dame Towers: CLOSED.
Sainte Chapelle: CLOSED.
Concergerie: CLOSED.
Musee de Orsay: CLOSED.
Do you understand now why those faces looked so sad? We decided to drown our sorrows in a delicious lunch at a french cafe. It was fun...and helped ease the pain! ;)

One thing I noticed immediately about french cafes is that all the chairs at the table look out to the street. I guess it's like dinner and a movie--they find their entertainment in watching people come and go. I think anyone on the street looking at these two would also be thouroughly entertained. Talmage can really never get enough food!

A sandwich of his own.

Adventure #5: Fashion Show at the Galleries Lafayette
We scored tickets (free, I might add) to an awesome fashion show in a super swanky designer department store in the heart of Paris. I came across some articles and blogs about free things to do in Paris, and thought a fashion show was fitting! I did my research and sent a few inquiries, and before long received an email saying we could come to the fashion show.

I took a few pictures, shown below, but they don't do it justice. I did, however, get a small video of one of the walks down the runway. Now you can say you've been to a Paris fashion show as well!


After the show we walked around the store, admiring the clothes, and more importantly the ginormous, gorgeously-decorated Christmas tree. I love Christmas, and I was in heaven!

Adventure #6: The Louvre
The Louvre was at least 100 times bigger than I was expecting. I don't really know what I was expecting...but it definitely wasn't that big! Below is a picture of Jim in the courtyard of the Louvre. The building is so ornate and gorgeous (I know I've used that word a lot in my descriptions of various sights in Paris...but they really are!) I loved it outside and I loved it inside.

This glass pyramid is the entrance to the museum. Cool, huh?

See, the three of us have some pictures together. I'll get them whatever way I can!

I was really impressed by the BIG paintings. Really, how is the possible. I have so many questions, and if you have answers, do tell. Do they paint the picture with a ladder, or do they walk on their painting? If the latter is true, are they bare foot? Do they start with a little painting and then blow it up? I'm at the largest museum in the world, and I'm curious about scuff marks! So maybe I'm not an art junky, but I still really like the big paintings!

That, my amigos, is the REAL Mona Lisa. WOW!

This is actually the metro stop under the Louvre, but I'm counting it under this adventure. Cute story of our Metro experience. A little girl, probably about 5 or 6, was intrigued with Talmage. She asked me his name (let's remember that I don't speak French, luckily my smart hubby translated) and was touching his nose. He was equally intrigued with her and would grab the buttons on her coat, or her fingers, or her hair. She would squeal with delight! The train cleared and she went to sit by her mother on the other side of the train. It was getting late, and Talmage was tired and hungry. He had been such a good boy all day, but he started to fuss. Before I knew it, that little girl was back by my side. She touched Talmage's nose again, and offered him the button from her coat. She entertained him for the rest of our journey...he was all smiles for her. Now if that doesn't pull on your heart strings, what will! I'm grateful for that sweet little girl on the Metro!
Adventure #7: Christmas Market, Take 3
We went to the same Christmas market lining the infamous Champs Elysees all three nights we spent in Paris. Christmas markets are huge in Europe (I hear the best ones are in Germany) and this one was very impressive. I loved the feeling in the air around the market. I loved seeing all the children playing. I loved eating all the delicious treats!

Dinner for Jim and Talmage (well, snack for Talmage. He had already had a full dinner but he just can't resist!): Tartiflette
Dinner for me: Munich Sausage with spicy mustard and grilled onions.
YUM.

And for dessert...a crepe for me and a big nutella-filled donut for Jim.
Once again, YUM!

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I can't wait for Marc to take me there. I was telling him about your posts and he said, "that is so like the french to be on strike". When he arrived in his mission the garbage men were on strike. I am so glad you are taking advantage of the beautiful countries around you! What a neat adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow honey, you really fit so much in a relatively short time. What an amazing memory! Love it!

    ReplyDelete