Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nueva Mexico


We just spent an incredible weekend in New Mexico visiting Jim's Mom. It was my first visit to the state (oh yeah, and T's too) and we both really enjoyed it. Well, I reallly enjoyed it...and Talmage cried a lot (maybe teething? maybe earache? maybe an official grumpy-pants?) Overall, it was awesome and we're SO grateful that Mom let us come.

We started the trip on the Acoma reservation on a gorgeously high mesa (called Sky City). We saw the pueblo, which happens to be the oldest continually-inhabited city in the US (or so says our tour guide Kevin) and enjoyed the view of the endless desert we got from the top.

The homes are multiple level, but you can only access them through stairs at the front of the home (there are no indoor staircases).
The church was built when the Spanish seized control of the tribe in the early 17th Century. In front of the church is a cemetary which is buried six people deep. Each time they fill the space they put a layer of dirt over the whole area and start again. Now there is limited space so only tribe dignitaries and the elderly are allowed to be buried in this lot. It was beautiful, but no pictures were allowed.

And the view from the top! The sky went on forever and was bluer than blue. There were NO buildings or power lines or anything to be seen...I LOVED it.

We also visited Bandalier National Park in the northern part of New Mexico. It was like no New Mexico landscape I had imagined. The drive to the park was lush and green and the hike around the area was beautiful. Talmage wanted to hold Grandma's hand the whole time and kept pulling her faster and faster on the trail.

Two priceless pics of the little man that I had to include. This kid has so much character it's ridiculous.

And also ridiculous, his nearly endless stream of tears this weekend. Over nothing.

A picture of the muchachos halfway through the hike. They are looking pretty tired, don't you think?

The rocks were gorgeous! Jim took this picture of the two of us resting...and I think it looks profesh. Good job honey!

On our last day in Albequerque we took the longest continuous tram in the world to a HIGH mountaintop to see the view of the city. At the top we were at an elevation of 10,300 feet--breathless!

Me and Mr. T enjoying the view.
Jim and T exploring.

We had a great time in New Mexico, Mom. Thanks so much for the fun trip!

3 comments:

  1. can I just say that you have been EVERYWHERE!!!! Pretty soon you will not be able to say, "it was T's and my first time there..." because you have explored the WORLD!

    Oh and by the way, you are gorgeous and i love your hair.

    oh and by the way again...T's face in that pic makes me laugh and laugh...I can't wait to see the little guy!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm wil viewing your blog on my phone let me leave a comment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!! I can actually comment now! I have loved reading about all your adventures. And I am checking availability of my now corporate husband so we can do dinner

    ReplyDelete