Wednesday, September 28, 2011

2L

When Jim and I taught primary (the 5 year olds) while we still lived it Utah one of the boys asked Jim what he did. I still remember the boys face when Jim told him that he was a student. "You still go to school," the boy said. "You must not be very smart!" At that point Jim was just finishing up his undergrad. I wonder what that little boy would say now, three years later, as Jim starts yet another year of school!

Here he is, in all of his first day of school glory! I'd like to think that his peace sign really was him saying that he's a 2L (second year law student) and not him saying peace out, stop taking my picture. I'll leave that up to you to decide.


Talmage loves his Daddy a lot, a lot and had a rough time seeing Jim leave (especially since Jim's been traveling a lot these last few weeks. Everytime Jim walks out the door T says, "No Daddy, don't go to da train station. I want you." Talk about major heartbreak.) The morning was sad, but I kept telling T that Daddy was at his first day at a new law school. As soon as Jim came home T ran to him and said, "Daddy, did you have a good first day of waw (law) school?" It was adorable.


As for me and the boys, we are also adjusting to life again. We are learning a new routine and have had a pretty good first couple of days. I'm continuing to learn more about my children and how to handle them. T has been giving me a really rough time about naps lately. He doesn't think he needs one, but by about 2 pm it's apparent in his behavior that he does. I've tried laying down with him, sitting in his room, reading books, singing songs, white noise, rewards, punishments, etc. but nothing has worked. He is my willful child and this was a full blown battle of wills--and the problem is I can't force him to go to sleep. It was causing a contentious spirit in our home and I didn't like it at all. Today I switched my approach and it worked (for today at least...I'll let you know about tomorrow). Instead of nap time we had quiet time. Still in his room. Still on his bed. Still lights out. But he could play with puzzles. "I don't want a nap," he said. "You don't have to take a nap T, it's just quiet time," I said. He seemed shocked that I wasn't trying to force him to sleep. Pleasantly shocked. He thought he had won. Ha! He played quietly with his puzzles and less than 30 minutes later it was totally silent in his room. Yep...he fell asleep! And took a long, peaceful nap. Hallelujah!




This little one, now he's an angel. He has such a mild personality compared to his brother and just makes loving everything about him so easy. And PS--do you see how he fell asleep all by himself? I didn't know babies could even do that before he came into my life! But he does. And he also likes to be snuggled and kissed. A lot. He smiles and coos and flirts like crazy with me, and almost anyone who gives him the time of day. I. Love. Him.


Anyway, here's to another year of law school!

2 comments: