Friday, September 20, 2013

Talk Like A Pirate Day

Last night the Relief Society (the women's group at church) had a speed-dating activity so we could all get to know each other. One of the questions was "What motivates you?" and one girl and I looked at each other and in unison answered, "FOOD!" Afterwards I got her number because I'm pretty sure we're a match made in heaven ;)
 
So, it's true. I am severely motivated by food, particularly of the free persuasion. I will do almost anything for a free treat--including dressing my children up like pirates and walking 80 blocks to get said free treat (which yesterday just happened to be Krispy Kreme). I needn't tell you how many adoring looks we got as we marched through Columbus Circle, then Times Square and finally on to 34th Street, my pirate-chillins yelling "shiver me timber" and growling "ARRR!" at all of their admirers. Those boys sure have the streets of New York wrapped around their treasure-hunting fingers. Next time I'm going to bring a tip jar for when people want to take their pictures. I don't blame them, but maybe if we made a buck or two I wouldn't have to walk 5 miles to get those boys a free donut! I jest, I jest. We had a fabulous day and I wouldn't have traded our pirate jaunt for anything!
 
Little Wiggy Pirates making their most piratey faces possible.

The roof just about fell down with all the screams of the Krispy Kreme workers when our cute kids came in! They immediately put 2 dozen donuts in a bag for us, gave each of the boys balloons, and begged to take pictures with them. One of the workers let T hold his pirate sword and he was SO excited. The boys spoke in their best pirate voices and were very well-mannered!

T and Ever with their spoils! Evie kept making a hook with his finger, oh so cute.

Since we were close, we decided to eat donuts (and then lunch) in Bryant Park. I think I saw a concert there once when I was single and city-livin' but I haven't been back since and I have no idea why not. That park is amazing!!! We ate donuts by the carousel and then spent a few hours playing games, reading books, and just enjoying the area.

The park has carts full of children's books and tables with board games that anyone can read/play. I read those little pirates a few stories and then we played Candy Land (Talmage won, he's good at that game!) They also had tables with checkers, chess, jenga, etc. It was so fun and felt so homey.

Bryant Park is also home to the NYC Public Library (or is it the other way around?) so we went inside to see the free exhibit "The ABC of It: Why Children's Books Matter." It was amazing! You should have seen the faces of my two boys when they turned the corner and saw the Goodnight Moon room. They were floored! The exhibit was perfect because we were able to quickly walk through and get something from it, but you could also spend hours inside reading everything.

Our adventure ended as we finished our lunch in Bryant Park, listening to this piano-genius and eating one more donut. Maybe two. Thank you Krispy Kreme for helping us have a really, super delicious day! And PS--we shared a dozen donuts with T's soccer team. If we hadn't have done so, I would definitely have eaten all of them! 

2 comments:

  1. RRRRRRRR you kidding me? That looks like the best day ever, and those little pirates are the cutest! Especially loved the little hook finger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out AFTERWARD that you got free donuts if you dress up like a pirate! And KK is my favorite!! I'm glad you at least got enough to go around, and let's pretend that one of those you ate was for me.

    ReplyDelete