Thursday, April 14, 2016

a FABULOUS visit to the heart center

I always feel anxious when our yearly visit to the Heart Center comes knocking, but especially this year as Everett's past cardiologist's believed that his mitral valve replacement would need to happen around his fifth birthday. Adding to the craziness of this year's appointment was that we once again have moved states and are starting practice with a new cardiologist, and also our new baby's fetal echo showed a few warning signs that I wanted Ev's doctor to review. My mama heart was feeling just a little shakey as we walked through those doors.

But you know what? I think that was the best heart appointment we have EVER had. My Ever Knight was a champ, sitting through nearly four hours of tests and talks with minimal complaints. When Ev's new doctor came in to discuss results, he had a long conversation with my boy about Star Wars before diving in. Everett's only request when we were finding a cardiologist at UCLA was that he really wanted a boy doctor, and since I feel passionate about empowering him in the medical world I did everything I could to find the best boy doctor around. Let me tell you, this amazing man did not disappoint and I am so grateful for him!

In medical news (providing me the biggest ever sigh of relief) Ever's mitral valve seems to be growing with him. Sure it's a little wonky, but hey, we are not going to be in the OR anytime soon and that should be celebrated! His EKG came back with unusual results and it seems that one of his "electrical outlets" in his heart was more damaged during surgery than we once thought, but every appointment is a mixed bag and this is one I could handle. Also, the doctor and I discussed this new baby and he is cautious but not super concerned. She will have an echo after she is born and we'll take it from there, but since I'm already scheduled to have the baby mid-week at UCLA there are no other arrangements that need to be made. I can't tell you what a relief this appointment delivered.

We left the doctor and Everett got to choose any treat he wanted for being so stellar. He requested a "smoovie and a donut" and both were promptly delivered to his cute little person. This heart journey with Ever Knight has taught me so much and I'm so grateful for that little lovey who is braver than he knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment