Tuesday, June 27, 2017

My Sister, the Marathoner

After nine months of training and a lifetime of dreaming, Ashleigh checked a major box off her bucket list and finished her very first marathon. I couldn't be prouder of her accomplishment if I tried, and after cheering every few miles for her whole race I literally sobbed as I watched her run the last mile down University Avenue to cross the finish line. My sister is a marathoner; and I'm definitely in the running for her biggest fan!   

Ashleigh ran the Utah Valley Marathon which boasts an "easy run down Provo canyon," but after watching her conquer hill after hill during the race we realized that "down the canyon" was talking about elevation, definitely not direction. Those darn hills not only tested her physically (particularly the knee that has been causing all sorts of problems for the last eight weeks) but also mentally. When hills kept coming and her knee kept hurting her brain started saying, "Hey, let's quit! This is dumb. Let's just be done already!" and she had to fight, fight, fight to free herself of those thoughts. Sometimes it was easy to do, sometimes it seemed impossible and sometimes she needed a little push from a pal, but fight she did all the way to the victorious finish. 

In so many ways, Ashleigh's run was a perfect portrait titled, "The Race of Life." It was so beautiful and wonderful and amazing despite of, and maybe because of the bumps in the road, the unexpected detours, the unpredictable pace and the intense forces working against her. The race didn't go exactly as Ash had planned, and neither does life. The race felt easier at times, and absolutely intolerable at others, so...um...life, right? The race was just one small moment in her full existence, which is just like life--a tiny dot on our eternal road map.

No, life so isn't perfect.  But if we cross the finish line at the end surrounded by family that thinks we are pretty close to perfect and loves us fiercely, well I'd consider that a win. And let me tell you, when Ashleigh finished that race I don't think there was a family around that was prouder, or happier, or more concerned about the number of orange slices and jamba juices she consumed! The metal they placed around her neck may as well have been gold because she came in first place in our eyes. 

Congratulations Ashleigh for completing a life-long goal and thank you for allowing me a front row seat to watch your dedication in accomplishing it, your positive and fearless attitude and your stick-to-it-iveness in the good times and in the bad. You're an inspiration to me and for this reason and so many others, I love you big!  





The kids were soooo good throughout the whole race! Most of the time they cheered their hearts out for Aunt Ash/Mommy, but other times they watched movies in the car or climbed up massive piles of rocks and dirt. We were just super grateful that they were so accommodating of our cheering so really, these dirt piles made us all happy! 




I don't want to toot our own horn or anything, but our cheering section ROCKED! We had music playing and we were all screaming/cheering/losing-our-voicing and those neon yellow shirts we made the night before the race were basically the best idea ever. Ash told us that we were what kept her going through the canyon, but I was shocked at how many other people told us through the race and at the finish line that we had helped them continue as well. Turns out I did get some of my mom's cheerleader genes after all, and I love every second of it!

Mom has been here before so she was the perfect person to give Ash some "hit the wall" advice. She ran the last few miles by her side and gave her some love (and from what I hear, sometimes tough love) as she finished off the race. 


It was SUCH a beautiful day for a marathon--clear and mild weather. Those mountains are something else! 


This was when she was almost to the finish line and this is when I completely lost it. Look at how gorgeous she is after having just run A WHOLE MARATHON! 

The gang's all here (except for James--work shmerk).


I wish I was more like both of these athletic and wonderful women. I love them so much and consider them some of the greatest blessings I know.


A little rest in the grass was what the doctor ordered and then it was time for pizza, an ice bath and a few good massages. The next time you decide to run a marathon Ash you know I'll be there again. So proud of you, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment