Monday, November 12, 2018

Happy November Day Sunset




Early in our marriage James and I decided it was bogus that May 1st was the only start of the month to get a special name so on the first day of each month we always wish each other a happy (whatever month it is) Day. This post was started on November Day and this sunset happened on November Day but today is the day it's finally gettin' some lovin' on the blog. Late as usual, and life goes on.

Our whole house turned pink as this brilliant November Day sunset shone through our windows. I was bathing the little girls, totally unaware of the color factory happening in our living room, when all of the sudden both boys started screaming, "Mom! You have to get out here! You really have to see this!" I ran to the front of our house, hoping something horrifying was not at the other end of their plea, and was met by the pinkest of rooms and one of the prettiest sunsets my eyes have ever seen. I'm a sucker for colors co-existing together so this sky full of oranges and blues, pinks and yellows, purples and peaches all living in harmony and complimenting each other spoke to my soul. I ran back to the bathroom, scooped both babies out of the tub, and barely got their towels around them before bursting out the front door so they could see what I had seen, so they could feel as I had felt. I love a good sunset, and I love that my boys knew me well enough to share the view.

Today was a hard mothering day. Not even my endless round of "Love at Home" could squelch the fighting and attitudes and general circus-like behavior from the four youngest Wigs and I spent my day refereeing and disciplining on repeat. The kids hated dinner, an episode of Daniel Tiger was the best I could do for FHE and the baby is still wailing from her bed but when I go in she screams louder, "Not you! I want Dada." Not my best work, and frankly, not theirs either. I can't stand days like this and I'm hoping that tomorrow's sunrise shines smiles and love and happiness on our little home.

In the meantime though, how grateful I am for that beautiful moment on November Day when my babies and I clung to each other on our lawn until the sky was dark, each commenting endlessly on how lucky we were to see such beauty from the steps of our own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment