The Jacaranda's wept openly as I pulled my van out of Snow White's driveway for the last time. The purple flowers--the same ones that have sprinkled magical confetti over my party house for the last five years--now looked bluer than ever. I circled the neighborhood once, and then circled it again. I drove down Olympic for no reason other than wanting to memorize it, and then I did the same for Overland, and finally Santa Monica towards the 405 and my new life. I would have felt so lonely leaving had it not been for the Jacaranda's. They stood as tall and magical as they have always been, but this year their smile was hiding heartache, their confetti replaced by tears. Did they already miss me as much as I missed the home and life I built in this city? The constant and heavy flow of pretty, petaled tears were the only answer I needed and brought my troubled heart peace. I matched my tears to theirs.
If I haven't made it abundantly clear during these last five years of SoCal living, LA captured my heart in a way that no other city ever has. I honestly believed I would raise my babies on the beach and for the rest of my life enjoy all the culture, entertainment and opportunities that this magnificent place has to offer. But life, man, it's not always the kindest. Especially for James who worked around the clock and really didn't get to experience any of the perks this city had to offer. It became clear last year that we'd need to find a better work-life balance for him, but neither of us expected that the best offer for our family would come away from the city I loved. But it did. And we are so grateful, don't get me wrong, we are SO GRATEFUL. And James and the kids, those traitors, they aren't even sad to go! But the beaches, you guys. And my friends. And the community that has wrapped their arms around us and become family. I'll be sad enough for the six of us and I don't expect this moving and mourning process to be easy. Leaving this place is a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the happiness of my family, but I refuse to short-change myself and sugarcoat the process. My heart belongs to you, LA. Which is why I was so grateful for the Jacaranda's joining me in my pity parade out of town.



No comments:
Post a Comment