It's nearly the last week of summer and I still haven't documented the first, darn it! It's been a busy couple of months full of birthdays and road trips, church events and just our normal (boring but busy) life. I am grateful for the way life has opened up to us Wigs this summer in Sacramento, and also I am a little envious of our summer spent here last year with nothing to do and nothing but time. I can hold both of those emotions at once, right?! We are full to the top in 2021, and it's alllll good.
The first week of summer was a lesson about making lemonade from some pretty bitter lemons. Two of the Tats and my four little ones were en route to Utah when we got word from Uncle Jordan that their whole crew had come down with an intense stomach flu. It was our only week available for this visit so we couldn't just turn around and reschedule and there were lots of tears in my magical minivan about missing cousin time and Utah summer fun. What was I to do with this situation? Well, there was only one real option. I booked an enormous suite at Circus Circus for a few days and went about planning a dream trip in...Reno, Nevada.
Now, Reno has never been on my list of must-visit places, but it honestly was the perfect place for a mom and six kids to adventure! We started at the temple to regroup and take a picture, and then we filled the next three days with good food, good fun, and lots of kid-appropriate gambling. I know the kids will all probably remember this trip for different things--water slides or casino wins or blueberry donuts (the best in Reno, in fact)--but I also hope they remember that when things go south in life, we always have the choice to make something beautiful from what remains. We made the most delicious lemonade out of our cancelled Utah trip, and it was the best way to start our summer.
The temple is being renovated (or something) so we couldn't go inside the gates, plus it was only 7:50 in the morning haha, but I'm pretty sure my saying, "When you touch the temple, it will touch you" also applies to the outer fence.
First stop: Wild Island Water Park in Sparks. This was possibly a million times more expensive than the Rec Center in Provo, but you do what you can with what you're given, right? When I say this place was a blast I really mean it! All six kids had the very best time because the slides and pools and structures were all focused on different age groups. This was a 10/10 win. And in true Heather fashion, we were the first to enter and the last to leave the park!
Buddies at the baby slides!
Imagine my surprise and glee when I opened the window of our suite to see this big and bold friend looking right at me! Now if that's not a room with a view I don't know what is haha!
Lots of babies hanging out watching cartoons, while I watched my show of choice in the other room (Jeopardy--it was slim pickings!)
Our WigginTat goal was for everyone to leave the Midway with a toy or treat of their choosing. I know it's silly, but I was so proud of how these kids looked out for one another and worked together for everyone's happiness. These people are good to the core.
Our concierge told us about this new city park with manmade water slides formed from the native river rocks and it did not disappoint. I was a wee bit nervous with all of these kids zooming down the slides, but they were safe and respectful and we all had fun. Also to note--minutes before this picture these kids put down $80 worth of nuggets and fries!!!
All of the food options were at their disposal because honestly, I would have driven anywhere to make their meals magical, but their favorite thing was the hotel food court where we could get pizza and orange chicken and eat it in front of America's Got Talent!
Our clown at night. It haunted Avery's dreams haha!
I am ALWAYS seeking out the best donuts when we visit a city, and Holy Schmidt's earned it's name. My favorite was the blueberry cake, but all of them were delicious and their chocolate cream filled was out of this world!
We weren't ready for home quite yet and tbh, the kids weren't ready for home AT ALL so we stopped in Tahoe for a beach day. Tahoe has my heart forever and always so I was in heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment