Saturday, February 9, 2013

Wicked

So...one time I invited my sister to go on a date with me. And I didn't tell her where we were going. And I was super excited, because I knew she'd be super excited, and thinking about her excited little face made me want to explode with joy. {See picture below for proof of joy-loding! And yes, that is a halo over my head, thank you for asking.}
 
Her husband was in on it from the start. He agreed to kidnap and drive her to Palo Alto. And so were our children, I might add. You know, the children who were screaming and whining and grumping so much that we both thought we might go crazy if we didn't go on a vacation. A vacation I could not do, but a girls night in San Fran. Yes, please, and thank you children.
 
A 45-minute commute took us 2 hours. Then we saw a drug deal, a prostitute get picked up and a homeless man snorting some white substance out of a pill bottle. We circled the theatre district looking for a parking spot and I could see that I was losing Ashleigh with each loop. I'm the city-girl in the family and since I was feeling a little nervous, I knew she was about ready to take a cab home. But we parked and we held arms and when we saw the Orpheum, Ash let out a huge sigh of relief (and so did I, but internally, so she didn't know that I also thought this was cray-cray!)
 
A few stare-downs by a homeless man, failed attempt at fast-food dinner, and some major people-watching later we were inside the theatre, giddier than our kids when we feed them chocolate for breakfast, and oh-so-ready for the show to start. It was incredible, and I am currently trying to figure out how I can get one of my kids to sing like the guy who played Fiyero. A-ma-zing! We ordered bottled water and skittles at the bar during intermission and drove home singing our own rendition of Popular.
 
The whole night I felt so gosh-darn lucky to have a sister, especially an Ashleigh. I'm a little sappy when it comes to this relationship because it's kind of magical. She's the greatest and I'm lucky.
 
PS--We walked out of the theatre only to see the homeless man that was staring Ash down before the show. We ran our skirts off across a busy street and then joined with a senior group who had also seen the production until we safely reached our car. Needless to say, next time we'll see a matinee!  
 
 
 
 
 Excited!
 
 Upon studying these pics I realized that Ash and I are making the exact same face and hand motion in both of them. Sisters.

 She is.
 
 Ash was embarassed when I asked to take her picture on the staircase.
 
 She thought she'd get me back by asking me to lay on the stairs--which I did in a blink. I think she was the embarassed one in both pictures ;)

Love her!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that I get to watch you two and your most awesome sister relationship! You couldn't be more opposite in some ways (i.e. your love of the city, and her absolute fear of it), but in other ways, you are exactly the same (i.e. your big and tender hearts, and your love of doing good to others). A mother couldn't be more proud or blessed to have the both of you!

    ReplyDelete