Monday, April 22, 2013

Riding a Bike

We were at Ashley Mae's house and T picked up a little courtyard bullet bike and confidently said, "Hey Mom, I'm gonna ride this two-wheeler."
 
I should have known better than to doubt, this kid can move mountains people. This is the kid who at 2-years-old stood up in the bath and said, "I'm potty-training now," and sure as heck was potty-trained without so much as a reminder from me. Once this kid says he can do something, he can do it. But doubt I did. Albeit silently. Out loud I said, "Great idea T, let's see."
 
And all of a sudden, right before my eyes, my firstborn was riding a real bicycle. I was shocked and elated. There was no need for me to chase him, or help him balance, or do anything for heaven sake. That independent little chap just started riding, and I stood there clapping, cheering, tearing up and making everyone and their brother come watch him roll. And I mean everyone!
 
When we got home he asked his Daddy to take the training wheels off of his big bike and again, confidently rode off into the sunset without so much as a look in my direction (except to see what all my clapping and jumping was about!) My heart would swell everytime he'd round the corner of our courtyard and I could once again hear his "Woo-hoo! Yee-haw! Yessssss!"
 
I took a video of the whole thing (in between taking 500 pictures) and I smile as big as the moon hearing T say, "This is the best thing I've ever done!" You're amazing Talmage Scott. You're amazing! 
 

2 comments: