Friday, February 20, 2015

Pink Eyes and Pink Tutus and Winter Blues

They're mocking me, those birds singing that springtime tune in the bare trees outside my window. Mr. Sun is in on it too, sitting high in a clear blue sky and shining on my still-PJ-clad body sprawled on the couch like a warm summer morn. It's all a ruse though because what they're forgetting to mention--those birds and that sun--is that the temperature this morning is actually a record-breaking -15 degrees with wind chill. If that doesn't make you want to vomit then I don't think we can be friends.

The winter blues didn't really hit me until this week when Talmage had school off and our structure of leaving the house went caput. Pick-up is mostly a real drag, but I've realized that without pick-up I'm kind of a winter hermit, and a grumpy hermit at that. Not to mention T has pink eye in both eyes, so even if we had wanted to spend his winter vacation exploring the freezing city we couldn't because he's just about the most contagious human being on the planet these days. I am pretty in love with this City most of the year but then February hits and I start Zillowing homes in Palo Alto and start planning my escape. So...there you go.

If there is one good thing that has come of this week, it would have to be the treats. Oh the deliciousness of Winter when there's nothing better to do than eat warm, comforting, sweet treats! We've inhaled leftover Valentines and knock-off Swig sugar cookies, PB&Nutella sammies and pancakes with extra syrup for breakfast (and snack. and lunch. and snack again). Cake cook-offs and frosting-tasting parties and oh the sprinkles that we have consumed. What's on tap for today you may ask? I'm thinking my mom's recipe for cinnamon rolls. Or maybe chocolate chip cookies. What the heck--we'll probably make both and eat our sick, cold sorrows away.

The food isn't the only good thing that's come of this week I suppose. I mean, I took this picture of Quinn playing with her pink little wolfie which is just the cutest:


And then I turned her on her back so I could grab a picture of her whole outfit. Having a girl continues to be the best, just look: 
 

But mostly this week has been about this sicky kid and his pink eyes (which were looking better than ever in this picture, but still):

3 comments:

  1. So, I only hear good things about Palo Alto, but, I gotta tell ya Texas winters rock. We just got our first snow (which means everyone gets a snow day... even attorneys) and before this it was in the 70s and we even broke 80 once in January. Just sayin'. ;) Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I only hear good things about Palo Alto, but, I gotta tell ya Texas winters rock. We just got our first snow (which means everyone gets a snow day... even attorneys) and before this it was in the 70s and we even broke 80 once in January. Just sayin'. ;) Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I bet we could get a heck of a lot more for our money in Texas than California too... Something to think about!

      Delete