Monday, October 19, 2015

Making Peace with Pumpkins--A Stitches Story

It was a typical Tuesday afternoon in our home until that baby pumpkin attacked my Quinn. There she was just walking around the house holding that orange little friend (actually it was white, but why do I picture it as orange even now?) and her giggles and pride were matched only by my giggles and pride. She looked so cute and she was being so careful and then before either of us knew what was happening she lifted that pumpkin straight over her head like a bar bell, lost balance, and fell right on top of it. See? It was totally the bully pumpkin's fault! As soon as I picked her up and saw the gash I knew that stitches would be needed (because T is my son and stitches are the name of his game--I've had a lot of practice). I was shocked because her actions were so innocent and I was anxious because I had two boys to pick up from two different schools and no friends to come to my rescue, but I got on the phone with our new doctor and she walked me through where to go and off we went--Quinny in her carseat with a towel wrapped around her noggin and me in the front seat with tears streaming down my cheeks. I picked up the boys, dropped off the carpool, and headed straight to the ER. The next few hours were filled with a lot of tears and the loudest screams I've EVER heard because Quinny understandably had a headache and even more importantly wanted a baba--and that girl does not mess around when she wants herself a baba! But we made it through with some numbing shots, a light sedative, four stitches, and finally a bottle of milk delivered by a saintly nurse from down the hall. Quinny's first ER visit is in the books, but why do I feel like this won't be her last?!

The nurses and staff were so kind to the circus in our room! They made balloons and provided stickers and coloring books, plus there was a big screen TV with endless loops of cartoons. They didn't entertain poor Quinny for long, but those boys were angels the whole time. They earned their Happy Meals on the way home for sure! 

The good news is this happened just in time for Halloween. Isn't October just the perfect month to be sporting a jagged set of stitches? But seriously I'm so, so grateful those stitches are in the back and will someday be covered up by a gorgeous head of hair--at least I hope so! For now it's a good conversation starter.

She was extra, extra snuggly the next day which I ate right up. This girl is not a snuggler so I'll take it any chance I get.

Less than 48 hours after landing in the ER with a pumpkin-related injury we decided to high-tail it over to the Mr. Bones Pumpkin Patch so that sister and I could make peace with pumpkins. I don't think I need to tell you, however, that I was the one (and the only one) who really needed to make peace. Quinner was picking up the same darn pumpkin that caused her injury as soon as we got home from the ER! I, on the other hand, freaked out every time she so much as looked at an orange object. Well, that just cannot be, I decided, so I got her gussied up and off to the farm we went!

There were a couple of moments when I thought, "Please don't fall! Please don't fall!" but overall I think we faced our fears. I'm definitely a mom who loves my children to touch and feel and experience without me hovering nearby, but that Quinny-girl is SO fast and SO adventurous and SO independent that she's stretching my mothering instincts to the max! But how cute does that feisty friend look holding her very own pumpkin? 

 



^^^That sequence is what we call a total inability to pick out just one cute picture to share. Quinny in that dress in that patch with that candy corn headband and big smile and huge spirit is just so beautiful to me and I have a hundred others that look almost like these, but not quite, that I wanted to throw in here too. If it isn't obvious, I love that girl!^^^

Oh wait, you mean I hadn't even mentioned that the boys came with us to the pumpkin patch?!!! Hahaha! Yes, they were there and loved it, so much so that this was the only picture I got of them. I bought them each a wristband so they were a crazy, sweaty and endless loop of the pumpkin bouncy house, Mr. Bones bouncy slide, corn maze and petting zoo. Those two brothers are so lucky to have each other and when they're not cat-fighting they really are the best of friends. (Which reminds me, Everett erupted into tears tonight over the thought of Talmage going to BYU without him in what, 12 years?! That Ever loves his big brother something fierce! And don't worry, they've now planned their mission/college schedule so they can be roommates and overlap their missions. Cousin Kai is also part of that plan. "Da fwee of us can wiv in da same woom. And wif Avewy too. Oh, Avewy can't cuz she's a guwl? OK, Avewy can just wiv cwose and us boys wiw be in da same woom." I can and can't wait to see that happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment