Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Christmas with the Wigs

My last Christmas post is all about the Big Wig Christmas brunch (the day after) Christmas. I'm all about stretching out celebrations as llooooonnnng as possible so this idea was right up my alley! We had the brunch at Papa's house and as always it was special to be in his company--I love that man so very much. He's always been kind, welcoming and loving to me and boy is he handsome! 

Auntie Lynn makes/gifts everyone hats each year and I love this fun tradition. This year she wrote all of the grand and great grandkids names on top hats and it seemed like quite the opportunity to take a goofy group picture. I wish we would have everyone else join the picture too, but taking pictures with that many little ones is never easy so I'll just consider myself glad we have this one!

Great Papa has had a rough year and the vibrant, well-spoken and charming man we've always known is often hiding in his brilliant brain. Growing older is so hard and so unfair sometimes, and it hurts my heart to think that my little boys will not see the very best side of these people I love so much. It was because of my whirlwind thoughts that this moment with Ever and his Great Papa meant so much to me. I looked over and amid the mayhem of conversations, babies crying, children playing tag and hat distribution was my Ever Knight, holding his Papa's hand and looking adoringly into his face. For a moment their eyes were locked together and their smiles gave proof of what must have been an angelic inner conversation and then Papa looked away, smile still bright. Everett later told me with so much fervor, "I weawy wuv my Gweat Papa!" This moment reconfirmed to me that there is not only hope but opportunity and potential for a beautiful relationship to form with their Great Papa. They may not golf with him as James once did or joke with him as I once did but they can love him, learn from him and have moments of shared tenderness that I know will move them to be better men.





I may have gone a little crazy with pictures of all my lovies but can you blame me? Those hats are incredible (and the people aren't too shabby themselves!) Merriest Christmas, one last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment