Sunday, June 26, 2016

Coco's 1st week (& Super Mema to the Rescue!!!)

My mom was with us for two weeks total--about a week before Cora was born (so that she could see the boy's play baseball, attend their end-of-year activities, and help me make last-minute preparations) and then a week after Cora was born (so that she could love and care for my babies, feed us all, and be the fun one that we all crave). It's never long enough but this time was DEFINITELY not long enough. No matter that she left my dad at home and stayed with us for half a month. No matter that she returned to Sacramento only to re-pack her suitcase and head straight up to girl's camp. No matter that we will see her again in a couple of weeks at her house and she promised to come back to LA if I need her. Nope, none of that matters because it turns out Mema is just the funnest, kindest, most selfless, perfect person I have ever known and even if she moved onto my pull-out couch full time (which you can, you know! Invitation always open!) I am convinced I could never get enough of her and still want more. I lucked out in the mom department and those four little chickens of mine SERIOUSLY lucked out with her as a Mema. 

A few things about this first week home with Cora. 

1) I had forgotten how scary it is to come home after having a c-section, especially when one of your babies is crazy Quinny! Kids just don't understand that you've literally just been cut in half and they're bouncing around like bunnies and all the pillows in the world can't quite calm the fear that someone is going to land on you and it's going to hurt really, really bad! We had a few close calls and a couple of little owie's but luckily I was mostly safe. 

2) People have been SO kind and generous with their time and talents and means. A friend from T's school offered to bounce Cora in the midnight hours so I could get some sleep, a friend from church brought me Shake Shack because she knows it's my favorite, another friend from church sat by James during Sacrament meeting to help with the bigger three while I was home with the baby, and that is just the start of the offers/help. We've had meals, treats, presents and calls pouring in to my pad. My mom said she couldn't go anywhere without someone expressing how much they loved me and offering to help...and I feel the love! I appreciated the help this first week with all my heart, and we're now a couple of weeks out and the help is still coming. I have a feeling when James goes back to work I'll be clinging to it even more! As if Cora hasn't brought enough joy into our home by her mere existence, she has also invited us to see bucketloads of goodness in our community. 

3) I bawled for the few days leading up to my mom leaving, and the day she left I couldn't even look at her without breaking down. I really hope my kids love me as much as I love her.

4) I only got dressed in day-time clothes one time the whole first week of Coco's life...and that was on the day my mom left and only because I wanted a picture with her where I didn't look like death. I immediately returned home and put my sweats back on, and have proceeded to wear them every day since. Keepin' it real.

5) Cora is my last baby. I'll get into this deeper in another post when my heart and brain are on the same page about the matter but it's official, she is it! She is so sweet and cuddly and patient that she makes me want to have a million more (or at least a couple), but instead I am breathing in her goodness and hoping never to forget how beautiful it feels to be wanted and needed by someone so perfect. This newborn phase is exhausting, but it's over way too soon. 

Coco's first walk! I was really pushing the wub-a-nub binkie and I thought I might be victorious, but it seems she prefers the Nuk and that's if she's in a binkie mood at all. 

This girl is the champ of all champs. I was so nervous to see how she was going to transition to sharing so much attention with another little person but it's brought out qualities in her that I didn't know she had. Like, who would have guessed that my busy, ball and plane loving Quinny was also extremely maternal? You should see her ooh and ahh over every face that Coco makes, bring her a binkie and blanket whenever she is sad, and yell "Coco! Coco!" from bed as soon as she wakes up in the morning. It is adorable and I just know that they're going to be the best sisters around.

Super Mema does it all, but she was especially helpful with Quinn because 20 month olds still need lots of attention, cuddles, diaper changes and babas! 


Quinny counting Coco's toes.


I just love seeing these two snuggle together. I was especially grateful for their 3 am snuggles so I could get some extra sleep!

I don't know, I guess when you're stuck inside and up all night you make crazy purchases on Google Express--like a new bubble machine and a trillion ounce vat of bubbles! My babies didn't seem to mind!

Yep, Everett went to the park with Mema dressed like this. I can't even with this kid!



Best baby award goes to ^^^.



I love this Mom of mine and I love this picture of the three of us! Such a special time, having a baby and a mom who is willing/able to come coach you through it. 

You wonder how we all felt about Mema leaving? Well, let's let this picture of Grumpy Cat do the talking! Thank you Mom! Love you Mom! Miss you Mom!

1 comment:

  1. My heart is so full! Can't even express how blessed I feel to have you as my daughter! Thank you for always making me feel so welcome and needed, I love you!

    ReplyDelete