Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A big old winter-sissy.

I am such a winter-sissy.


The last few months have brought nothing but sun, but cue the rain every.single.day last week and I was crying foul. How dare it rain in winter and grump grump grump were pretty much the only topics of conversation. It's not as much not liking cold weather (although to be honest, I don't really like cold weather), it's more about being stuck in the house like caged animals. And while being a caged animal all by my lonesome sounds somewhat appealing, I was a caged animal with two beasts in boys clothing. They.were.insane all week long.


T's outdoor needs are physical. He NEEDS to run and play and get all of his energy out in order to function. If he doesn't get that outside time, I learned last week, he gets mean and grumpy and runs around in circles--literally--in our microscopic living room. And when he goes crazy, we all go crazy.


Evie's outdoor needs are emotional. He NEEDS to feel the cool air and sit in green grass. He smiles as soon as we walk out of our door, almost like he is breathing in happiness. If he doesn't get that outside time, I learned last week, he screams (with the voice that JUST returned) and cries and screams some more. And I can promise you, his voice has returned with more gusto than it ever had. It's exciting, and it's loud.


My outdoor needs are spiritual. I NEED to feel the warm sunshine on my face and the cool grass on my feet to remind me of who I am, why I'm here and what I'm doing. It's refreshing, rejuvenating and relaxing. An afternoon outside gives me gratitude for the beauty of the earth, and helps me feel close to its maker. If I don't get that outside time, I learned last week (as did my kids, and my husband), I get antsy and impatient, neither of which are becoming.


I recognize I don't have it bad. When I talk to my sister and she tells me it's snowing in Idaho I literally want to cry--for her and for Kai Kai. Our winters in Palo Alto are not that bad (read: not any bad) but by George it's still winter and by George I'm still sick of it.


So on this, the fantastic first day of Spring, I'd just like to give Winter a little shout out, "Peace Out." And to you, Miss Spring, welcome and we're glad you're back!


2 comments: