Thursday, May 31, 2012

An Eclipse Party

What started as a simple science experiment in the courtyard (with our neighbor Ben telling James over and over again that he was doing it wrong, it never would work and that next time he should be the lead engineer) ended up making for a fun night watching the Eclipse as a courtyard.

James figured out (with a lot of help from google) how to make a pinhole projector and one by one our neighbors started trickling out of their homes to join in on the party (or possibly to see what the crazy inventor was up to this time!)

 The good news: IT WORKED!!!

I tried to explain to the boys what a big deal this was. The last eclipse like this happened when Daddy and I were in elementary school (1994) and we remember watching it on the playground. The next one, they say, will be in 2030. Everett, however, seemed quite unimpressed with it all. We took a picture of him with Daddy's invention just in case someday he decides that it was, in fact, a big deal. 


Talmage was WAY more interested in riding his scooter with his friends than looking at the eclipse. And yes, he is only wearing underwear. You win some, you lose some.

Some of the party peeps. My only regret was not having moon cakes or some other sweet on hand. I'll be prepared in 2030 friends, come on over!

 So, so, so, way cool. 

We were super excited/weirded out about our shadows. We took a ridiculous amount of pictures of our shadows looking like aliens.

2 comments:

  1. That's SO cool! I totally remember the 1994 eclipse. And I love your "win some, lose some" attitude. I think I'll be needing that sooner than I think. :) 2030 eclipse party...I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome! My seminary kids made one of those pinhole projects as well! I on the other hand had no clue that we were in the middle of the eclipse and was so confused at why it was day light and my automatic light was trying to come on because it thought it was dark! It was the strangest thing ever - didn't learn the real reason till the next morning and saw the pictures!

    ReplyDelete