Monday, June 4, 2012

The thing about hiking...

The pictures are a beautiful memory.
And I wish I could say that the hike in Russian Ridge was as glorious as the pictures make it seem.
But alas, in the interest of honesty and transparency,
the hike was mostly lame.  


The thing about hiking is that when 3 out of the 4 hikers have undiagnosed strep throat and the 4th hiker has a crazy allergy attack, it kind of sucks the fun right out of an otherwise awesome experience. Screaming and crying is all we heard as we hiked up the mountain. Whining is all we heard on top. And when we started hiking down again, you guessed it, screaming and crying!


We bribed T with cheetos and that almost put a smile on his face. But not really. Everett was arching his back and slapping food away from his face. We were sharing the view with one couple who ended up packing their bags and heading off because of the mayhem. I almost felt sorry for those people, but quickly realized that I was the one who had to take these crazy muchachos home...so then I just felt sorry for myself.

Oh well, I'm sure someday we'll go on a hike that everyone enjoys. Until then I'll just look at these pictures, enjoy the views and pretend like it was the perfect way to spend Memorial Day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Wow strep throat looks good on all of you...simply adorable/beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As miserable as the experience was, don't you think it was worth it to get that picture of you and Everett? He's hugging you! And you look gorgeous. And, the background is beautiful. Totally frame-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description of why it was a mostly lame hike made me laugh out loud! But...you did it, in spite of it all, proving once again - you can totally do hard things!!

    ReplyDelete