Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bakersfield.

Ever since our first date, James has raved about the amazingness of Bakersfield. Now, I had been to Bakersfield before (driven through it at least) and for the last four years I thought he was completely crazy. He had traveled all over the world, and his favorite place to visit was Bakersfield? Really?
The week before we headed to LA we were told that Uncle Don had passed away and that the funeral would be on the Saturday we were making our trip. Although we wished it was under different circumstances, we were so grateful that we were able to spend some time with family. And James, he was excited to visit Bakersfield!

He loved seeing the city where he spent so many summers and Christmases. We visited his Great Grandma V's house and he showed me the pomegranate tree in the backyard. He was giddy as we saw the oil rigs off of the freeway, and wished that we could stop for some ice cream at Dewars (next time, honey!) He kept saying, "Do you smell that? It smells like Bakersfield!" I didn't smell anything different, but he was convinced that the smell of Bermuda grass was wafting through the air. I believe he was inhaling his childhood and I am so glad that me and the boys could attempt a sniff or two ourselves.

After a few hours in Bakersfield we loaded up our disgustingly full car with boys who were tired from running around Aunt Lorraine's sprawling farmhouse lawn and headed down to our new home. I found myself talking about how wonderful the stop was, how wonderful his {our} family was, and how I am excited to visit them all again. James was beaming--that boy loves Bakersfield!

Great Grandma V's home. She passed away while James was on his mission and he said it provided a lot of closure to see it again.

The oh-so-famous pomegranite tree!
Our sweet little sailor and his cute and crazy brother on Grandma V's front door step.
Wiggy Men.
Our fam and the house.
Chaya and Papa got their work-outs chasing the boys (or being chased) around Aunt Lorraine's yard. T and Evie were in heaven!
Family!
I can't tell you how much I love this picture of me surrounded by Wiggy men! Love all those guys so much!

3 comments:

  1. That sailor suit is OUT OF CONTROL! Where did you get it and can I borrow it someday when I have my little Stanley? :) And you're not chopped liver yourself either. I wish that dad-gum CA was closer to TX!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you guys here already! You will have to tell Jim that I lived in a tiny town near Bakersfield called tehachapi for a few years. I have a similar, odd love for the placer even though I haven't been back in almost two decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Bako post. I was so glad that we got to visit- and meet Evie. I do wish it had been better circumstances, but I know my Dad would be glad we had a great party in his honor. I promise that I will start getting updated on the genealogy postings-as well as add a few posts of Carter here and there. Let us know when you are on your way back to Stanford- you can stop here for an overnight rest stop!

    ReplyDelete