Sunday, June 24, 2012

So basically, my dad rocks.

Yes, yes, I know Fathers Day was last week. But darn it my dad rocks. Like, really rocks. Once again this week I saw how much he cares and once again this week I realized how lucky I am. And so today, one week after Father's Day, I'm gonna share the story with you. Because my dad is awesome.
 It's a story of a three year old who doesn't listen, a door that locks from the inside and a really screwed up fork.
The mischievous three year old is our very own Mr. T. Shocked, right? Listening is not his strong suit lately. He is strong-willed and ridiculously independent and I don't know if you know this, but he totally knows best.
The door leads from our front room into the hallway where our only bedroom and bathroom are. It locks from the inside and there is no key to open it from the outside. T has a fascination with locks and I have told him at least 300 times NOT TO TOUCH THE LOCK!

Listen?
Of course not.

A few days ago we were coming home from doing laundry and T had to go the bathroom so we went to open the door. Locked. My first inclination was to knock. Smart Heath, real smart. When no one answered I immediately turned my attention to T who was smiling at his work (locked door). He wasn't smiling for long because once he realized I couldn't open it he panicked...big time.

Of course this all happened on the night James was working on a big deal and had to be at work past midnight. I'm a really independent girl most of the time, but sometimes I just want to be saved, and this was one of those times.

Our house is unfurnished and we only have the bare essentials...REALLY bare essentials. I found a paperclip and tried picking the lock but it didn't work. After saying a prayer with T and trying some more I called my Dad.

He was so calm and so helpful. Instead of just saying, "Sorry honey, that's lame," or "Wish I was there, but don't know what I can do from here," he started brainstorming all the things that could possibly open the door. I, of course, didn't have any of them.

He sat patiently on the phone while I played with the lock, grunted and huffed over how lame this situation was, and then bucked up and tried some more. He helped me make a list of things I would need from the hardware store (since I couldn't get the door open with my lousy paperclip) and seriously walked through the exact steps for our plan a and plan b.

After 20 minutes on the phone (he honestly just sat on the phone with me for 20 minutes) he had an idea. A FORK! He asked me how attached I was with my forks, and then told me that he thought a bent fork might just do the trick. Since I purchased our forks at the dollar store last week, I decided that I was not too attached to ruin it.

Can I just say that my dad is a genius! It worked! I started screaming with joy and T started sobbing hysterically and yelling, "You did it! Da door is opened Mommy!" It was super dramatic.

I couldn't stop praising my Dad. He was the brains of the operation and my hero. He was kind and resourceful and brilliant and patient.

And then, just like that, he said he had been praying for us the whole time, Heavenly Father must have given him the idea, and he was glad we were ok. And off the phone he went.

Dad, you're amazing. And humble too. I think I would have thrown myself a party if I'd of come up with the winning idea!

I almost threw the fork away before I realized I probably will need it again in the future (although T has promised to never touch the door again!) It's currently hanging out in the hall closet.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! Glad you are free now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, I said to your dad later, "What a compliment to you, that when your daughter was in complete crisis, she called you for help!" You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete