Sunday, October 28, 2012

Riley-dog

We found out that my family's dog is really sick and will probably not be with us for much longer so the boys and I made an uber quick trip back to Sac to say goodbye to Riley-dog and give him some last loves. T was trying to make sense of it all. I told him that the doggie-doctor said that Riley was really sick and will be going to live with Heavenly Father soon. "You mean he's going to DIE?" he asked in a scared, shocked, confused and genuinely curious tone. So we had a good talk about heaven and about death and about how Riley will be happy even though we will miss him so much. That night he prayed for "all the people on earth who are missing their dogs or their people who are in heaven." I smiled and cried. He is so sweet. 
 
We decided to bring Riley cupcakes from Sprinkles to make him happy. The doctor said to do the things with Riley that we usually wouldn't or couldn't (or shouldn't!) do so a caramel apple cupcake was definitely a must from a cupcake-lover like me. He loved it, although I probably should have cut it for him before letting him inhale the whole thing ;)

The boys were really sweet and gentle with him. Everett turns everything into a sword lately and did try to battle Riley once or twice, but luckily it wasn't too extreme! Talmage gave him lots of love and was so soft and tender.

As always the trip was far too short (and ended with a very sick Talmage) but I'm so glad we got to say goodbye to Ri, should he not be there the next time we go home. He's been such a loving, kind, obedient and loyal dog. I still remember the day we brought that rolly-polly puppy home for Christmas, his endless licks after my wisdom teeth surgery and his gentleness as we've brought each new grandbaby into the family. What a good, good dog. We'll miss you Riley!

2 comments:

  1. Made me cry! That trip home from Apple Hill will be ever planted in my mind - you were all so excited to have that sweet little puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I am so sad for you and the family. Dogs are so important in our lives, and I know only too well the pain of losing one of those special family members. I am sending big hugs and kisses- to you, James, and the boys, as well as your family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete