Sunday, August 24, 2014

All in a Week's Work

We came home from Sacramento and bam, welcome back to life. First order of business was unpacking, and then filling the house with grub, and then about a second later Talmage had surgery on his ears and nose. It was necessary and I'm so grateful for skilled surgeons and I hope it ridiculously helps and to be honest, I played off the whole thing like it was not that big of a deal, but I gotta tell you that as I was stroking his arm and looking into his deep brown eyes as they put him under and intubated him, I kind of thought I might die. Yes, it was outpatient and yes, I've seen way worse in the way of surgeries and yes again, I knew he was in skilled hands, but holy Hannah can my Mother's heart not handle another surgery...ever maybe. Wishful thinking? Yes. But a girl can dream, right?

They wheeled him into recovery and he looked like such a little angel with those little tiger scrubs and yellow socks (both of which he asked to keep). T is not known for his sleeping skills so watching him slumber was such a treat...even if I did want him to wake up as soon as possible so that I could ensure he was OK!

His serious nature shown brightly when he awoke. After he had been up for awhile and still looked rather ornery (and wanted to go home and cuddle, NOW!!!) I showed him pre--op pictures and asked him if I could catch a glimpse of that handsome smile of his. He locked eyes with me and gruffed, "If you want to see my smile then you better look at the picture." I don't think a laugh was what he was looking for, but it's definitely what he got! And just in case you were wondering, he really didn't smile for hours and hours...it kind of reminded me of when he was a baby ;)

Trying to entertain ourselves before they let us leave--he was loving every second of it!!! Luckily the recovery was quick and rather painless. Two days down and he was ready to party again (and hopefully hearing much better). Here are some of the fun things we did to fill the rest of our week:

Ev and I went on a date to Pinkberry while T had a play date with friends. Ever was worried that we'd be bored without brother, but I assured him that we'd have fun (and also reminded him that with school starting soon we gotta get used to one-on-one time). I let him pick the flavors and toppings, and was super pleased until he insisted on fruity pebbles!

On the left: We spent one morning making super hero shields and it was a huge hit. On the right: We got to pet a chinchilla at a library event and Talmage yelled, "Mom, you have to pet it too...it's the softest rat-thing ever!"

Anyway, that was our week. And now to this week. I'm feeling overly sentimental about the whole thing because this is my last week as a mother with all her chicks in the nest. Yes, we have five more full days to enjoy Talmage's constant companionship, and then we'll be sending him off to full-day kindergarten and getting just a few tired hours with him each evening. Lots of tears have been shed by me (over totally tear-worthy things, like getting his lunch box in the mail!) and I'm bracing myself for that first darn day. He on the other hand is counting down the seconds...and I mean literally. I'm happy for him and know he'll find success and joy and fulfillment at school, but boy how we'll miss him. So this week, we're gonna party hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment