Tuesday, August 12, 2014

We're Back!

We just got back from the dreamiest of trips to California. We spent every single moment with family and filled our days with adventures and parties and all sorts of fun. My only regret was that we couldn't see every one of our beloved family and friends...the boys' only regret was that we couldn't stay on Farmgate forever. You ever wondered what extreme parental guilt feels like? Try being in my shoes on the way to the airport for a Sunday night red-eye where Talmage was praying that our flight would be cancelled (it was delayed, thanks T) and Ever was crying big crocodile "I just need one more day wif Mema" tears. It was ugly, and the worst part about it was that I totally understood--California is kind of my Garden of Eden too so leaving it for "buildings, buildings and apartments" as T explains New York is kind of wonky. Yes, we love it here. We really do. Hands down New York is amazingly alive and incredible and we can fit lots of joy in our 480 square feet of homebase. We just need a few days to bring back that loving feeling, that's all.

I don't know, the trip home sounds like the best place to start on what will probably be a ridiculously long travelogue of our summer in Cali. Clearly. Mostly I haven't gone through what feels like a trillion cell phone pictures and it's on my to-do list, but so is "feed the children" and "figure out where the baby's going to sleep" and somehow, those things seem to be taking precedence. Speaking of pictures though, without me knowing James has been working on getting me a DSLR since last Thanksgiving and when the opportunity seemed perfectly right he bought me one just a few weeks back. He told his Dad it was my Christmas present from last year, and I think it might count as my Christmas presents for life. Now if I can just learn how to use it, it'll be awesome! So fun, so exciting, so...here are some pictures from the airport.

  
Nice airport staff can really make or break a flying experience, true? We were delayed in the darn middle of the night after saying a painful goodbye and yet, my boys were given coloring books and flight wings and security stickers and they felt like kings in that castle. Not to mention that when it was finally time to board the kind woman said, "It's now time for families traveling with children under two to board. And also families with cute little boys who are wearing a red hat and backpack." Everett looked at me with his big, brown eyes and giant smile and said, "Mom! I weawing a wed hat! Is me, Mom! Dey talking about me!" You won this time, Jet Blue.

As far as the flight goes, well... this should give you an idea:

Actually it wasn't that bad. Everett slept like a champ in all sorts of ridiculous positions and Talmage made full-use of the Jet Blue sleep kit--it kind of looks like he has baby carrots in his ears, but he doesn't. Those are ear plugs. Glad I could clear that up for you. I couldn't really sleep due to swollen-leg syndrome but shoot, the kids weren't screaming their heads off and I kept myself pretty entertained by watching how my three boys decided to rest their eyes--James folded right in half with his head on his own lap, Ev with feet straight up in the air, and Mr. T who wanted to use some part of my body as his pillow at all times. We're all in a little bit of a daze these days, but isn't that how all good vacations should end?

 
I was up early for a doctor's appointment this morning and before I knew what was happening I was relieving the sitter and marching my boys to Central Park. It's funny how you forget how life is supposed to feel after taking a break from reality, but there was something oddly nostalgic about seeing T hang off the monkey bars and Ever chase the pigeons. And as they played I stalked Mommy Poppins and started planning our week and a little bit of my bitterness about leaving "home" left as I remembered that I am "home" and there are many adventures to be had. We're back NYC, you've been warned!

1 comment: