Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Silly little things




"So, are you a breeder or something?" She asked when she saw my bump and my boys. I've been waiting for someone to ask me that awesome question for months, and I was prepared and excited to answer. "Pretty much," I smiled. "And I'm kind of good at it!"

***

People always talk about how expensive kids are, and to be honest I never quite got it. Sure you have to feed them and clothe them, but for a minimalist like me it's not all that hard to do (adult food and hand-me-downs, baby!) But now that we received T's kindergarten assignment and the list of things he has to bring with him, I get it. Shoot, kindergarten is going to bankrupt me. And then there's swim lessons and his soccer team and field trips and pizza Friday in the cafeteria that he's already looking forward to and geez, we're in trouble. That's what I'm saying. Oh yeah, and maybe I want him to learn to play the piano. Yep, kids are mini money drainers.

***

Everett's imagination is just about my favorite thing in the world. In the picture above he was a Buzz Lightyear Pirate. And at Trader Joe's today he put stickers all over his body and only responded if I called him Cyborg. So I did. He also had his shirt on backwards and peanut butter still hanging out on his cheeks, so those are my mothering skills for you. And then that other picture of his hand--ah, those little hands are so edible. He's just losing his dimples and it's killing me. But luckily I think his ring finger freckle and dirty kid nails are here to stay. Yummy, that boy and his hands.

***

And just a couple-a quotables:

Ev: My name is missionary bear and I have a testimony about scawy monsters.

T: Mom, can you tell me about World War Eleven?
Me: There hasn't been a World War 11, T.
T: Yes-ha, it says so on the book you're reading. Look.
{I looked at the book and realized 2 was written in roman numerals: II. Begin lessons on roman numerals now, blah!}

No comments:

Post a Comment