Wednesday, August 13, 2014

celebrate good times, come on!

We had A LOT to celebrate on this trip. I'm of the opinion that even little things should be celebrated, a quality I'm sure I inherited from my Mom, but this trip was full of such BIG things to celebrate it was basically a legitimate party everyday. 

1. 31 YEARS

 
 My parents celebrated their 31st anniversary on the first day that all the McKee kids, spouses and grandkids gathered for our family reunion. We had the most delicious dinner and then went to Baskin Robbins (31 Flavors) ice cream to honor them. Unfortunately Maddie was sick and had to rest at home, but I thought it was so beautiful and touching to have everyone there to celebrate this great accomplishment. I am so proud and grateful for my parents and look up to them so much. They are great people and it was so fun to be together with them.

2. Three McKee Cousins

We could write a book, or at least a darn good Ensign article about the miracle of these three babies who were wanted so badly and decided to come down to earth as a little cousin team! Needless to say, having three McKee cousins born within 4 weeks of each other later this year will 100% be the highlight of the year, and a joy for all my life (and hopefully theirs). And the three of them are definitely worth a celebration--and so we had one! The only picture I have of the baby shower is of the cute diaper cakes that my mom made each of us: Ash is having a boy the end of September, I'm having a girl the beginning of October and Mad is having a girl the end of October. Luckily we got some great pregnant sister shots that I'll share later. But just for the record, the baby shower was just perfect and I felt so blessed that this little girl will be joining a family who love each other so. She's lucky and so am I! Thanks Mom for planning it!

3. Half a Century & Retirement

 My dad turned 50 years old on August 7th and after nearly 30 years as a Peace Officer retired on his birthday. Now if that's not a reason to celebrate, I don't know what is! We had a family party at Ferrell's Ice Cream Parlor to honor this huge achievement and the fantastic man that he is. Gosh, it was fun to hear the waiter's and waitresses sing silly made-up songs about birthdays and retirement and even a gorgeously off-key version of "This ice cream's on fire!" when they brought out big sundaes with burning sugar cubes. Logan dominated the ice cream eating contest and brought me to tears with laughter, the french fries were out of this world, and the kids all gave Dad some speaker thing he's wanted for a long time (yes, I kind of have no idea what that speaker thing is good for!) so I would say it was a slam-dunk party. We love you Dad and couldn't be prouder!

So now let's talk about ice cream, OK? We really like it. So, is that celebration worthy? Yes, I agree.

4. Ice Cream

James really wanted some Leatherby's before leaving California, so on our last night in Sac we made everyone come get ice cream with us. And by made we mean asked, because seriously who doesn't like themselves some Leatherby's?

This sign was hanging by the front entrance, and James requested that we have it in our house someday! Must you even ask whether or not I liked that idea?!

Chase and Meghan (who are getting married in November) are another big reason to celebrate because, you know, they're getting married and stuff! We are so excited for the happy couple, who Talmage calls "the lovebirds!" And why hello Mom and Dad, you two are gorgeous!

In all seriousness, the ice cream was out of this world delicious. It always is. James branched out and got a strawberry shortcake sundae, but I stuck with my tried and true roasted almond hot fudge sundae. Have mercy that baby is good. T= mint chip clown. Ev= rainbow sherbet sundae with marshmallow cream.

Since we're talking about ice cream celebrations, and since my tummy can't handle another delicious post about the cold treat I thought I'd mention now that Uncle Buck, AKA the ice cream man, made that HUGE container of mint chip ice cream just for Talmage because T told him that it was his favorite. See what I mean about being surrounded by lots of love? Geez, we are blessed. And I'm happy to report that Talmage ate two giant bowls of ice cream that evening, and luckily shared with all of us too! That Uncle Buck is the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment