Friday, February 5, 2016

Running through life

It was a hard day to be a first grader. Hurt feelings and exhaustion and insecurities abounded and a day that looked pretty fabulous on paper hid deep pain and an ocean of tears. That little boy of mine is usually Captain Sunshine and the craziest ball of positive energy so days like this are few and far between and often catch me by surprise. As I sat on the couch this afternoon rubbing his back as he spilled his soul and wiping away his crocodile tears it reminded me that this little guy is a real person with real emotions, real thoughts and a really big heart. I know that sounds like such a simple learned lesson, of course he's a real person, but sometimes I get so busy having a business relationship with "the kids" as an entity that I need a gentle reminder that they are fabulous, unique and autonomous individuals who are growing up so.darn.fast. and need to be loved fiercely by their Mama. Thank goodness I get to go on this growing-up journey with T, Ever Knight and Quinny-Girl and although I know stretching days like today are bound to be in our future I'm so grateful we can cry them out together, learn from each other, and finish the day laughing side by side. Here's to hoping my Captain Sunshine is back tomorrow (but maybe not as early as the 6 am wake up call we got from him this morning!)


(Where's Waldo...Talmage edition!)


(Short sleeves and sandals in January means more to me than you can imagine!)


Quinny and I spent last Friday morning cheering our favorite biggest brother/oldest child while he ran in the Jog-a-thon. He didn't stop during the whole 30 minute race and ended up running 17 laps or 4.25 miles. I seriously still can't believe how fast and beautiful his little body looked as it zipped past me over and over again! I saw muscles in his legs I didn't know he had and enviable determination and devotion in his eyes. If it wasn't clear before this event that running is his "thing," he made it perfectly clear during those exhilarating 30 minutes. As he crossed the finish line for the final time he said, "It's already over? I want to keep running some more! That was awesome!" It was awesome, I agree! He ran his little heart out and luckily I found him a track team so it looks like a whole lot of racing will be in our future. Good job, T. I love you so much buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment