Wednesday, February 24, 2016

T and his Asics



About a year ago T decided that shoes with ties were far superior to shoes with velcro and thus began the "Please Mom! Please Mom! Come on Mom!" phase of our shoe existence. But here's the thing. My life is busy enough as it is and one thing I don't take for granted is the fact that both of my boys can put on their own dang shoes! So I told him that when he learned to tie his shoes himself we could have a civilized discussion about tied sneaks--and you can imagine how hard he's been practicing to fulfill his side of our little deal. To be fair it didn't take that little braniac very long to master the skill, but I was still hesitant to replace our easy and adorable Pumas with his tied shoes of choice so much to his chagrin we waited, and waited, and waited some more. But there comes a point when your kid is running track and has been drooling over Sports Authority ads with the "greatest running shoes in the world" and you can tell that owning a pair of Asics would mean the world to him and you think, you know what kid, you mean the world to me, so let's go for it! As much as I tried to lead him, guide him, walk beside him over to the neutral numbers, he found his true love in a pair of lime green, hot orange, and teal blue kicks. Regardless of how fast he's running when he crosses the finish line, he will definitely not be missed! And lest you think he has EVER questioned his decision, we've now owned those awesome shoes for two weeks and everyday as he's meticulously tying those blue laces I hear him telling his sister, "Are these the sportiest shoes you've ever seen? I bet you love these colors! You cannot believe how fast they make me! Gosh, I'm so happy!" and I just smile knowing that buying things for T is like ordering sunshine to my life--and who doesn't need some extra sunshine?

Ever the early-bird, Talmage woke up at 5 am the day after we bought these so that he could get his shoes ready for the day. They went on, they came off, they were petted and cleaned and admired and then they went on again. James walks him to school in the morning and called me laughing on his way to work because T had literally sprinted his way all the way there--backpack bouncing behind him and all. His enthusiasm and energy and excitement are enviable (and sometimes exhausting) and leaves me wishing in so many ways I could be more like him. 

Hopefully his Pumas won't get too jealous but I have a feeling it's going to be a long time before they're on this kids feet again! T and his Asics, boy they're a match made in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment