Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Toddler Trailblazer

A few weeks ago as I was chasing Quinn up and down staircases, circling wide halls around the outdoor courtyard, and trying to remind her to use her "super quiet feet" on the noisy gymnasium floor; all, mind you, while we were supposed to be worshipping in Sacrament Meeting; an amused onlooker from another ward said, "Your baby girl reminds me of a quote I once heard--Don't go where the path may lead, go where there is no path and leave a trail." I laughed and thought that might just be the most fitting quote for my little lady's life. She is fiercely independent and when she walks away from me at church or the park or in a busy mall she doesn't look back to make sure I am close and she is safe, she has the confidence in herself to keep on going where ever her heart may lead. This is both scary and beautiful, right?

It's been through watching Quinn walk away recently that caused me to analyze and get to know myself a little better. You see, for being such an independent little thang Quinny has shed a few tears lately when I drop her off at gym daycare. I really couldn't figure it out because she IS NOT a mama's girl in the slightest and when I come to pick her up an hour later she usually doesn't even want to come with me. But those tears at drop-off, darn those heart-braking tears at drop-off. It was about 20 minutes into my workout one day last week that I realized in a A-HA moment that Quinn is a leaver, not a leavee, a trait my baby girl certainly inherited from her Mama. Quinn and I both want to go on adventures and have the confidence and strength to say goodbye when we choose to do so, but heaven forbid someone try to leave us with a goodbye, we straight up become a puddle of tears on the floor. It's so interesting to learn more about yourself while learning more about your children, and also realizing that your children are the way they are because they are so much of you.

Today we went to the park and a man came up to my group of friends and asked, "Does anyone know who that little girl belongs to? She's been playing by herself for a long time." Of course the little girl was Quinn (I had been watching her like a hawk the whole time, no worries) and of course when I went to play with her so that man didn't think me a momma-slob Quinn quickly ran to the other side of the playground so she could continue her independent games. By contrast, when Daddy is around she cries and whines at his feet until he holds her the entire time...usually her head rests on his shoulder!

She loves to set up little action figure scenes on our TV stand and play with them. I'm always shocked at how big she's getting, how smart she is and how much she understands.

And no matter how girly I dress her, by the end of the day she's usually dirty-faced and wearing a hat.

Last week Quinn was playing a peek-a-boo and hide-and-seek hybrid with her brothers and went from giggling to screaming in two seconds when she hit her head on the window ledge. She came out of my bedroom and I literally screamed when I saw her because her eye was SO swollen. It's a miracle that it didn't split open, but as it was she's had quite the shiner ever since. Ten bucks says this girl visits the ER more than either of her big bros ever did (and that's saying something!!!)

Dropping off Ever at preschool is never complete unless Quinn can sit herself up and have breakfast with his friends. Luckily the kids are all sweet and his teachers are saints because they encourage her to be a part of his school experience. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this girl would go to preschool in a heartbeat if I let her!


Quinn is now a forward-facing baby girl! Right now all three little ones sit in the middle row because they like to be squished together, but when littlest sister comes the boys will be kicked to the back. How in the world am I old (or lucky) enough to have FOUR children!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment