Thursday, February 22, 2018

Lovey-bread men and other Valentine-isms

I know this sounds silly since writing has been such an important part of my adult life, but did you know that it wasn't until Valentine's Day that I realized it's my love language? I've always considered writing to be one of my personal great loves and it is so cathartic and meaningful to me, but as I sat at the breakfast table on February 14th and read the sweet letter James wrote me I found myself welling up with tears and feeling so deeply and sincerely loved. It hit me like a ton of bricks--writing is my love language, the gift I love most, the key to my soul! Duh! And wow! And took me long enough to figure that one out, huh?! Forget the flowers or jewelry and I'm definitely not talking about a simple signed card, but a true piece of beautiful writing makes my heart sing. (Notice I did not include chocolate on that "forget" list, it's a close second love language. Especially when it's slapped on a raised donut!)

I think the little love letter from James meant more to me this year than any other gift he could have bought me because I know how valuable his time is, how little sleep he gets and how busy work has kept him lately. Many nights I go to sleep with no husband by my side and wake up in the morning with no husband by my side only to learn that at some point during the night a tired and over-worked husband crawled into bed and was asleep by my side! Crazy, right? And maybe a little bit creepy! To think that James spent so many precious moments preparing something for me, despite how easy it would have been to use his life as an excuse, is really touching, and he kept it a surprise to boot. Our dinner may have been delayed until long after 9 pm (an early night by our standards) and it may not have been worth the time or calories (because I'm the worlds worst cook) and we were both so exhausted by the long day that we fell asleep on the couch in full sweat suits watching the Olympics (#romance, haha!) so suffice it to say our love day didn't really go as planned. But when I think back on Valentine's Day 2018 I hope I'll always remember the comfort I felt when I realized that the one I love loves me back, knows me better than I know myself and gives of himself freely for my gain. That is certainly something to celebrate.

Second and final year of these cute sweaters making their Valentine's Day appearance. Cora's is a little snug this go-around but I can't pass up a matchy moment so I stuffed her in it anyway!

The kids really wanted to decorate gingerbread men around Christmas but things got too busy and we were already overbooked and it just fell off of our to-do list. We decided to remedy the situation by making Lovey-bread men the Sunday before Valentine's Day. The kids were thrilled and since Valentine's candy > Christmas candy so was I!!! 

Give me all the gummies, with a side of those chocolate caramel hearts!



THAT SMILE!!!!!!!

I was so proud of their work and couldn't stop smiling when I looked at their little people, and I maybe even analyzed the method to their madness a little! Top left is Coco (with help from Daddy), top right is Ev. Bottom left is T and bottom right is Quinny. 

I don't have any pictures from Valentine's Day except for this one, because it was NUTS, but this snap of the kids at the breakfast table getting ready to open the cutest cards from Papa and Gigi is enough for the whole day plus some! I especially want to remember how Cora immediately put stickers all over herself and how Quinny folded the card up small and carried it around in her pocket for the rest of the day. They all loved the Love Duck and I loved sneaking a peak at the creative card and personal messages in each one. What a special way to start the morning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment