Thursday, August 29, 2019

First Day of School

There's a stirring scene in the movie Wonder where a dedicated mother played by Julia Roberts sends her special son to school on the first day and while she watches him walk into a crowd, a school, a life with so many unknowns she whispers, "Please God, just let them be nice to him." 

This year, I was Julia Roberts. (Without the big lips and big hair, but still). I walked away from my babies and prayed all the way home that they could make new friends, be happy and thrive in school this year. And I prayed for all those other kids as well. "Please God, just let them be nice."

Our house was filled with nervous energy last Tuesday morning and there were some tears and whines about whhhhyyyyy they had to go to school but by the time I picked them up for our annual first-day-of-school Cookie Talk they were beaming and my anxiety went down at least 10 notches. They had a great day, thank heavens. They all took on my challenge of making a new friend and remembering their name and they couldn't wait to tell me all about it. Plus they liked their teachers, had fun on the playground, shoot they were even excited to do their homework! I know everyday won't be as sunshiney but my Mama heart needed a good first day of school, and we got it.

(It shouldn't surprise anyone that Quinn was not involved in the whining, crying or begging for endless summer. That girl was up before the sun with her Star Wars shirt and camo backpack on, waiting for us to take her to school. She couldn't have been more excited if she tried. While many kids were crying and clutching onto their parents Quinn escaped without so much as a goodbye only to be found already sitting on the rug for circle time. When I picked her up, her first comment to me was, "Why did you pick me up so early and when do I get to go back?" My Sunshine Kitten is ready for full-day school, whether I like it or not.)


In an attempt to get the kids to smile James was pretending to lick my ear. Gross, yes, but it worked! These are the faces we got when James got too close and really did lick my ear. EWWWW!!! Quinn's face kills me though, so I had to include it.

Everett is in 3rd grade this year (on the big yard with brother and so excited).

She misses the cut-off by less than a month but TK opened at WWC and we were all over that idea! Hooray for Quinny and three kids at one school.

T is in 5th and rules the school. I can't believe we are one year away from middle school...ahhh!

This baby doll has to wait until after Labor Day to start school, but hasn't gone a day without walking the kids to school with her backpack on. She's ready, people! 


Shouldn't surprise you that Quinny is leading the pack. 


All I wanted was a picture with my Quinny Cat...

...but then Daddy wanted one as well...

...and Coco was not going to be left out!!!

First day of TK, done and done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment