Friday, August 16, 2019

Hard goodbyes but good things to come

Next week my kids are starting school and for the first time in their little lives it won't be alongside a Burnett or a Redford. You don't understand the magnitude of that statement, you really couldn't because I can't even fully grasp it, but to our family it means our whole life is changing right before our eyes. Two of our best families are moving, both rather unexpectedly and a little last minute, and us Wigs have shed a river of tears since hearing the news. It's not that we're not happy for their new opportunities, because of course we are, but I'd be lying if I pretended to not be in a state of mourning as well. It feels like we're standing in the Twilight Zone and everything is circling in slow motion around us. It doesn't feel real. Will life without these besties ever feel real?

I was on the phone with James today and I was crying something fierce, mourning so many things--big and small--and with more confidence and optimism than I knew he possessed James said, "I am positive that good things are in our future." He was so steady and sure in his statement, it completely caught me off guard but I also couldn't help but believe him. And even if he was just trying to walk me home from a pity party, I'm choosing to hold on to those words. Good things, good friends, good opportunities, we know you're there and we're waiting for you.

But in the meantime, I may need some tissues and chocolate as we say goodbye to our dear ones and re-learn life without them. 

This was the last playdate with the Redford kids. Literally 30 seconds after this picture was taken those cute kids were in their minivan in route to Utah. 





Melissa and Adam let each Wigginton/Burnett bestie pair have a solo date to breakfast/lunch/dinner and they were over the moon. This separation really stings because these kids literally are my kids best friends in the world and we will miss them more than words can dictate. These dates were a great last hurrah before they headed to Orange County. 

No comments:

Post a Comment