Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Hovenweep

The original plan was to visit Mesa Verde National Park because the cliff dwellings are supposed to be amazing, but once we learned it was a few hours farther than expected (we had mapped to the front of the park not knowing that the dwellings were at least 90 minutes beyond that) we changed our plans. No biggie! Luckily, the Four Corners region is rich in National Parks and Monuments paying homage to the Native Americans, so we penciled "Hovenweep National Monument" on our itinerary. It was small and off the beaten track, but Hovenweep literally translates to "deserted valley" so I guess it was just living up to it's name! This site is home to structures built over 700 years ago and it was really remarkable to see them in person and appreciate the deep history of our country.

We stayed in a small Colorado town called Cortez and maybe it wasn't my favorite destination, but we did eat top-notch Mexican food for dinner and attend an impressive Native American dance performance at the Cultural Center, so that made up for the dated hotel and the dusty feel of the place. But they did have fry bread--hot and covered in honey, cinnamon and powdered sugar with just a pinch of salt. Oh. My. Deliciousness. We went back for seconds. And then thirds. So hey Cortez, you got that going for you!

A fam favorite from our trip was Four Corners--the biggest tourist trap in the region but just too good to pass up. Before we drove up to the monument I had no idea it was on Navajo land, or that they charged a fee per person to enter, and frankly had I known about the entrance fee beforehand I may have thought twice (because I'm cheap like that) but I'm really glad we went and have the cheesy pictures to prove it. Cora is especially glad we went because it was at Four Corners that she found something she couldn't live without--a Native doll that she calls her Barbie. 

That two-year old baby Rain was dancing with her Grandmother while her Grandfather sang and it was so beautiful watching her embrace her culture from such a young age. 


Hey there, good looking!

You'll notice one baby is missing from this picture...supposedly they are "vewy scawy to Cowa." 


I often feel like my kids are pulling me in different directions, but this is just too much! Four kids in four states...this is my new favorite picture!






Yes, yes, yes! After taking these pictures James wanted me to send them to my family with a text that said, "You'll never guess where I am!" Hahaha! I would have, but didn't have service. #storyofourtrip


Cora's Barbie stayed by her side for the remainder of our trip and has found a coveted home on her pillow in that toddler bed of hers. 

I learned on this trip that Cora is an excellent hiker if you turn it into a game. Over the course of our two weeks we were mountain goats, mermaids, princesses, unicorns, and in this picture, grandparents with our walking-stick canes. Her imagination is larger than life and she would happily hike and stay in character for hours. I really liked being her buddy, even if she always made me the daddy goat, the prince and the grandpa.


I created those four beauties up front in the last 10 years and that has felt like a long time; that building in the back was created 700 years ago. Mind. Blown.

Looking good, Grandma!



No comments:

Post a Comment