Friday, August 13, 2021

our happy family at trek

Hands down the greatest part of my summer was going on pioneer trek with the youth in our stake. Basically we were pretending to be pioneers and pulled a handcart full of our things up and down mountain paths for more than 20 miles over the course of three days. James and I were a Ma and Pa, and had the ten BEST children in our group. Our family motto was "Be of Good Cheer" and I made a flag with a biiiiiig old smiley face. It took about two seconds before we realized that calling ourselves the Happy Family was the only way to go. It stuck! The summer days were hot, it was hard, the cart was heavy and the food less than desirable (and let's not even talk about the outhouses) but my pockets were full of magical lemon drops that fueled us through long hours and when that didn't work, I rapped ridiculous music to bring smiles to the kids faces. For the most part though, I was the one that benefited from their company. These kids worked hard, served endlessly, supported one another and loved even harder. They were funny, witty, silly and kind. They played a mean game of cards by candlelight, told jokes, laughed until the wee hours of the morning and were up for all of it again come morning. I came home from those three days feeling spiritually full--the likes of which I can only compare to my mission--and ridiculously grateful for the experience. 


Oh yeah, did I mention that Ash and I were there together?! (of course we were, haha!) We called our individual families the cousins and they were all obsessed with each other. 





Missing two kids--one who came late, and one who got covid the day before we were set to leave. LAME!!! But I love these 8 with my whole dang heart. 











It was soooooo much fun Ma and Pa-ing with him!











Ended the first day after not seeing each other for hours with THE EXACT SAME HAIR!!! We twins, even when we don't mean to be!



Mom and Dad came the second day to speak to the youth and Ash and I were a little excited to see them, hahaha! I love this woman so much and was so glad to be with her again.




I was so proud of every single last one of the members of our Happy Family for pulling their weight and helping with the handcart. It was hard work and they all were up for the challenge!


While the first day focused on pioneers of the past, the second day was all about current-day pioneers. Ben Schilaty is someone I've followed through his podcast for about a year now and it was a total honor to have him out here with us for the weekend. He, and all the other speakers, provided information and perspective that so many of our youth were craving. Uncle Ben is just the best!








Womens Pull--we got this!!!


It was this moment we learned that Sarah was expecting...a huge tub of cheese puffs haha!



We took apart and loaded our handcart a million and a half times, and our older boys took care of it every last time. Gosh, we were the luckiest to have them in our crew!








By the last day I was feeling so emotional. I would have hiked another week and slept on the hard ground so I could've kept hanging with our Happy Family. The best of the best, and I'm not even kidding. 





Our last family picture--we're done!!! (and we stink)




Never have I ever been dirtier than I was in that moment. And I promise you that never have I ever been more fulfilled. Trek for the win!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment