Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our Oxcellent Day in Oxford

We spent Saturday in Oxford, mostly because I did not want to leave this country without visiting our "rival" universities turf. Call me biased (or maybe call me tired) but we spent a few hours in the city and then were more than ready to come home to our beautiful, delightful, picturesque Cambridge. In my opinion, Oxford is almost a perfect mix of Cambridge and London. It's a big city (especially compared to our little cow town), but it still has the history and colleges. BUT, it was WAY less family friendly (this coming from me--and you've heard my stories of Cambridge's family friendliness) which is always a major turnoff. Despite everything, we had a wonderful day exploring a new city with the fam.

The gorgeous Christ Church College which is Oxford's largest and most well-known college.


Jim posing with a statue at the Bodleian Library. We enjoyed the courtyard and one little room, but pushchairs and children are not allowed in the actual library...bummer.


Jimmy James and Mr. T in a deep blue Lotus...which they both tell me is a really spectacular car. Who knew?

The round reading room. Say that five times fast.


As we are walking towards Pembroke College, Oxford Jim says, "Wow, that Pembroke is a lot bigger than my Pembroke. I'm starting to feel insecure!"
There was an awesome little petting zoo outside the Oxford Castle. T LOVED seeing the animals, and touching them too. It got us both really excited for the Cali State Fair this summer!
Me: Where is the famous pub you wanted me to see? (referring to The Eagle and Child where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien would eat, read and discuss their works)
Jim: It's the one up there with the bird picking up baby Tommage.
The Wigginton Three after walking, no, running home from the bus station in a crazy, random Summer (almost) rain storm. The drops of water were so large they hurt and the three of us were completely and utterly drenched.

Wet.

Really wet.

Wet also, but mostly just cute.
As you can see, he is copying Daddy's tongue-face!

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh...so cute!!! I REALLY love the wet pics, there is nothing like a little summer rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did that rain storm take you back to Taiwan? When is your return to sunny seaside state of Cali happening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly when you leave Cambridge you can say that you experienced it all! A lot of your adventures have been done in the rain, and you have all been such great sports about it. I love that baby is such a little copy cat - it's so cute to see him mimic you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! And wow, your wet pictures totally beat my wet picture that I just posted. I can't believe you come home so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thought, Talmage sure was brave around those animals. It totally looks like the pony is taking a little nibble on his leg. Did he get nervous?

    ReplyDelete