Thursday, August 12, 2010

Christmas in July

Meet Santa Clause. Of course, that's not his real name. We call him Uncle Buck. But that, unfortunately, is not the name his parents gave him either. You see, Uncle Buck is Jim's Dad's brother. Dad calls Buck Buck. Buck calls Dad Buck. So, Buck's kids have an Uncle Buck (Jim's Dad) and we have an Uncle Buck (Uncle Buck). Confused? If so, don't worry, because this weekend Uncle Buck was no Uncle Buck, he was Santa Clause!

Uncle Buck was the winner, winner of being our very first New York guest (although I think we were the ones who won!). We were in New York all of 48 hours when he arrived and as you can imagine NOTHING was in order. Poor thing, our furniture hadn't (make that hasn't) come yet so he spent the weekend sitting on the floor (although he did bring his own blow-up mattress so he didn't sleep on the floor), eating microwave hot dogs and Easy-Mac (no pots) and basically spoiling us rotten (AKA Santa Clause).

Other than buying us groceries and household necessities every day, Uncle Bucko took us out for a day of FUN exploring the city. He treated us to everything and all we had to do was lead the way. It was so nice of him and such a great start to our New York adventure.

Talmage loved the Subway, although he threw a HUGE fit everytime I tried to sit him on my lap. Mr. Independent himself wanted to sit all by himself. One time while he was sitting on my lap, a woman looked at me and said, "Your baby looks just like Grandpa" referring to Uncle Buck (those Wiggy genes sure are strong). We explained to her that he was T's Great Uncle. Then she said, "He has Daddy's eyes, he looks like Grandpa, but really, he looks absolutely nothing like his Mother." Thank you Subway Lady, I don't think I hear that enough!

When I worked in New York (it feels like it was a lifetime ago) this was my old building. It was fun walking around my old stomping grounds.

After a long day exploring the city, Santa treated us to dinner at the self-proclaimed World's Best Deli. I must admit, the pastrami sandwich was to die for and that cheesecake, please people, don't get me started. Just come visit soon and I'll take you there, Ok?

Talmage's highlight of the day: ELMO! I was surprised to learn that Elmo has a really strong Hispanic accent and required payment for pictures and hugs, nothing like I remembered on TV ;) Nonetheless, all three/four of us were looking at the camera so I guess that was $1 well spent!

Has Times Square gotten busier/crazier/brighter/more crowded/hotter/awesomer since I was last here? It's funny how some things I remember just the same...and some things I remember so differently. Uncle Buck described Times Square as a sensory overload--pretty true!

There were so many other places we hit during the day, like Radio City Music Hall, FoxNews station, the TODAY show, Ground Zero, Staten Island Ferry, Wall Street, etc. Let's just say, the day was wonderful and busy, wonderfully busy! Thanks Uncle Buck for a perfect first weekend. We love you and miss you already!

4 comments:

  1. I totally think Talmage has some of his momma's looks! Also, Ryan and I will gladly be visitor's #2 and #3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you were moving to NY. I love it there maybe I can convince Tan to bring me.
    Dont worry too much about the sub way lady. My first 2 didnt look a thing like me but #3 is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Buck REALLY is Santa Clause! It made me feel so good to know that loving family was there with you and I love the picture of T and Uncle Buck. I honestly think that he (T) has grown already and you only left 2 weeks ago! How does that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pics-I think I'll have to blow one up and pretend like you're going to be in Utah this week.

    P.S. as previously mentioned...sometime we really are going to head that way. My brother-in-law in Boston and then you guys in NYC. WAHOO. (you are going to be there for awhile right?)

    ReplyDelete