Monday, February 28, 2011

Pregnancy + Flu = Ridiculousness

These last two weeks have been bad...reeeaaall bad.

It all started on Valentine's Day. While all you adorable couples out there were whispering sweet nothings and exchanging chocolates, I was stuck in bed with chills and sweats. And then I threw up. And then my fever spiked above 102 degrees. And then I cried and couldn't sleep and kept Jim awake all night with my whimpers. And then the next day came and I couldn't get out of bed. James had to carry me to the bathroom. I couldn't eat...I could barely breathe for heaven sake. It was RIDICULOUS. Yep, that's the only word I can use to describe being pregnant and sick with the flu at the same time. Ridiculous.

BUT...by some miracle (in this story replace miracle with Big Wig's--Jim's parents) my mom was able to fly to freezing NYC from sunny California and take care of the 3 1/2 little Wiggy's for 10 days. It was absolutely the only thing that got us through. Unfortunately, after the first week of flu I developed a bone-rotting (at least it felt that way) sinus infection that took me out for the final week of her visit, so we pretty much stayed in the apartment for the whole trip. She cleaned my house, did my laundry, cooked gourmet everyday, played with T, did the shopping, and cared for me like I was a little girl again. It was fab (and kind of ridiculous, remember?) but mostly fab.

PS--Being sick while being pregnant is ridiculous. My immune system was totally shot and I felt like I was 100 years old. Ridiculous.

We all cried when she left...except for T--he WAILED. He sobbed and screamed her name over and over. Everytime we brought her up for the rest of the day he would resume his mourning ritual. We tried to tell him that Pea-Paw and Uncles Jordan/Chase needed her in California but he would moan and say, "No. Mema and Tommers." It was so sweet and so heart-breaking. Reason # 974 that we should move closer to family...maybe someday little boy!

Speaking of little boys, I saw the newest Wiggy-Man today and he was just as cute as ever. He is perfectly healthy and growing right on schedule. He is smiling in the ultrasound picture and was playing with his feet during the whole screening. I guess that made up for the ultrasound tech's comment to me, "Look out Mom. This baby is stubborn already!" Oh dear.


And this picture is for Ash. Here I am in all my glory at a little over 21 weeks pregnant. It's definitely showing more than it did with Talmage...although I still feel like I have cheeseburger belly (aka-people don't think I'm pregnant, they just think I've eaten one to many Big Mac's lately!) Anyway, hope you enjoy sis!

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS....YOU are SOOOO freakin hot! i cannot believe how dang good you look over half way done with this pregnancy! I can't wait to meet this little boy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, the other half of the story was me in the shuttle crying as we went down the street. I kept trying to tell my shuttle driver why these tears were very justified! It was the saddest thing ever leaving them in NYC - I'm all for a California move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't Moms wonderful!!! There have been a few times in the past that I have been down for the count and my Mom has been there to help out with everything. The best part is that someday our kids are going to need the same and we will have the opportunity to give them that special love!! Mama McKee you are a trooper for holding it together all the way to the shuttle...I would've expected tears from the minute you thought of saying goodbye!
    PS Is that what pregnancy is supposed to look like at 21 weeks? I think my body missed that memo and decided for me that I should have an extra 35 lbs by that point! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I think that you are smaller than what I look like NOW... and you're halfway through a pregnancy and I'm not pregnant at all. Such is life. I am glad you are feeling better now! Hopefully there's no more sickness anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, my is that a belly? Yeah, whatever! My belly is that size once I start thinking about getting pregnant:) So glad your mom could come out to take care of you. And Stanford takes transfer students I am sure...hint hint James!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. You dont look pregnant AT ALL. I see no signs of a baby belly. You are one of those super duper lucky ones that dont ever really look pregnant- consider yourself blessed! I'm so sorry that you were so sick. I had the flu while prego with Ethan and it was not fun. I'm glad your madre could come help ya out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being pregnant is miserable; so being sick and pregnant= oobermiserable. I'm glad that you are feeling better. That is so nice of your mom to fly out to play with/take care of you. New York and California are too far away from each other. I hope you are and your mom are well acquainted with Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are excited you are having a boy!! I hope you get feeling better very soon. Loves!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh, Same thing happened to me at about 16 weeks with this pregnancy. Totally MISERABLE! Yay for moms/grandmas who save the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sick on Valentine's Day 2011, too. I had a true stomach bug--vomiting and diarrhea. Being sick is sure a fun way to celebrate Valentine's Day! NOT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete