Monday, August 13, 2012

Our Multicultural Chinatown

Last week we braved the heat and headed to downtown Los Angeles. Since we have a few more weeks than expected in the city, I have filled up our calendar with adventures I had previously written off because of time constraints. To be perfectly honest, I was not super impressed with any of our downtown destinations. My sister told me that the weatherman was cautioning everyone to stay inside because of the extreme heat, so maybe I wasn't impressed because it was so hot. Or maybe the attractions just weren't that cool.

Chinatown was our first stop. Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE a good Chinatown, I even love a mediocre Chinatown. But LA's Chinatown, meh. I don't know what it was lacking, but there was something. I love how Chinatown can usually transport me to my days as a missionary proseletyzing in a morning market in Taiwan. But during this visit, I definitely didn't leave LA. We did consume our body weight in passion fruit slushies and honeydew boba drinks so that was a plus. And T picked out a new pair of glasses.

Our visit to Chinatown did prove to be multi-cultural. I would've loved to talk with more Chinese people, but instead...
  • I parked in an Italian restaurant...in chinatown.
  • I smiled at a white homeless man on the street and he proceeded to flip me off over and over again.
  • An indian woman rolled down the window of her car to chastize my parenting skills because I did not have hats on the boys (who were in the stroller with the awning down, ps).
  • I got lost, and ended up speaking Spanish with a Mexican man and getting directions. 
Next up was the Wells Fargo History Museum. The Yelp reviews said that it was great for kids and to plan on being there 30 minutes. I don't know how old their kids were, but we stayed there for 5 minutes and basically rode that one horse-drawn buggy the whole time.

Instead of walking down this HUGE hill, we dedided to take this cute tram called Angel's Flight. It was a little crazy getting the stroller on and off of it by myself, but Talmage was in heaven the whole "flight!" He said it was the favorite part of his day.

Our last adventure was to the Grand Central Market. By this time we were all a little tired and a LOT hot so we basically did one quick spin around the place and left. Food, fruit, fish--unfortunately nothing AMAZING that I couldn't find in our Westwood market.

Except for maybe the boba drink! We did get one more before we left!

1 comment:

  1. Frankie says "Cool glasses dude!" :)

    We sure miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete