Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

We continued our Memorial Day Celebration on Monday by heading to Staten Island to tour the rest of the Navy ships docked for Fleet Week. Once James found out that he'd be able to step foot on the USS Cole he was sold. This Destroyer was bombed in Yemen in October 2000 and is considered one of the precursors for September 11th and the war on terrorism. We felt honored to be there and tour this ship which boasts such rich history and a spirit of determination.

 
There were some BIG guns on this Destroyer. The one pictured right above shoots 70 pound bullets--which is basically my boys put together (plus some). There are also 90 missiles aboard the craft and a whole lot of other weapons, including the 50 caliber machine gun that has been used since WWII (because as our tour leader said, we don't mess with perfection!) I was again reminded how grateful I am for our military.

It was one of those days where my boys just loved the heck out of each other and were the best of friends. I LOVE those kind of days. My favorite conversation was when Everett said he was going to be in the Navy someday and asked T if he'd join as well. Unfortunately for Ev, Talmage said, "No, sorry. I can't join the Navy because I'm going to work at Trader Joe's when I grow up so I can organize things!" It was hilarious! Eventually Ever told us he'd have to talk to Uncle Chase about going with him, which sounded like a very sensible plan. I didn't have the heart to tell Ever that the Navy won't accept people with heart disease such as his. Blah for the lameness of that disease.

 
The boys were star-struck with all of the sailors, especially once they got sailor hats of their own. They wanted to look like Pepa and I'm pretty sure they made all of our military family proud! Even with the ship tours, the Veterans BBQ, dancing to live music and eating ice cream, the best part of the day was running into the Moncur family on the Staten Island Ferry on our way home. I LOVE seeing old friends, especially randomly in this big old city!

1 comment:

  1. Heather, thank you for being such a great journal writer! You are amazing! It is so fun for me to read through your blog and feel like I am right there with you. Thank you for being so awesome and showing Chase such a wonderful time! Wow! Loved all the stories!

    ReplyDelete