Sunday, May 25, 2014

Uncle Chase hits the Big Apple

My baby brother just got home from his mission and we were lucky enough to steal him away to NYC for a whole week! I can't even begin to describe how much my boys love this Uncle Chase of theirs, or how amazed I was by his patience with their constant wants and needs for his attention. They hung on him all week long, and I mean literally HUNG on him! We filled every last second of his time here and went adventuring all over the city {hopefully he wasn't expecting a restful visit because he definitely didn't get one!} One thing's for sure, we had a blast and I know these memories will live forever in the beautiful minds of his adoring nephews.

Before I do an annoying little travelog of our week (except the weekend--I'll do that in a different post) I want to remember some of the very most special parts of our visit. All the fun was fun, you know, but what I was more impressed with were the moments I caught my baby brother teaching my babies about Jesus and the gospel and about so many other righteous things. Like in church when Talmage and Chase were passing notes back and forth and I later caught a peak of their note which went something like this:

Chase: Do you know why we take the sacrament?
T: Because He died for our sins.
Chase: So who should we think about?
T: Jesus. He loves us.

And have mercy, my heart was full, especially when I saw them continue their conversation through reverent whispers. Then there was Monday night when we were home late so I told the boys to grab their scriptures for a condensed Family Home Evening...but then Chase offered to teach us all a lesson for FHE and wow, my boys were enthralled with everything he said. Days later they were still talking about Uncle Chase's lesson on baptism. He read them scriptures, he taught them hand signs for the 10 commandments, he told them funny stories from his mission and generally, he was just an awesome example of a good man. I don't have any pictures of these moments, but I always want to remember how great they were. He's a good guy in so many ways, that Uncle Chase. I am so proud of my baby brother!

And now, onto the travelog:

 The Natural History Museum and Shake Shack. The most memorable moment of dinner was when Chase squeezed his portabella burger and the cheese squirted ALL OVER James! It was hilarious!

 This was pretty much how our nights were spent...oh the joys of an itty bitty apartment! Yes, that is all three of us cuddled up on our bed together ;) Chase had his own bed for sleeping, but we shared a bed for nightly movies!

 Passionfruit bubble drinks in Chinatown, Rice to Riches rice pudding in SoHo. We also had lunch with James at our favorite Chinese dive and it tasted just like Taiwan. Chase loved the Chinese food, but I'd be shocked if he ever ordered another bubble tea of his own free will ;)

 We took the Staten Island Ferry and as always we were in love with the view of our city and the beautiful Statue of Liberty. Unfortunately the most memorable part of this trip was Ever's epic fit on the subway down to South Ferry. He screamed and shrieked and made a massive scene for a good 20 minutes, and poor Chase not only had to witness it but had to help me control him. Gosh Ev, you and three better get along better than you and two have!

 Three gentleman and a lady.

 Gray's Papaya for hot dogs and juice (pina colada for me, papaya for Chase, grape for the boys). Oh yeah, and those are Chase's new coral pants and I'm rather obsessed with them! No wonder he kept getting hit on in the streets of New York!
 Uncle Chase and Ever Knight making faces for the camera.

 Chase shopping at the Times Square H&M. He got new swim trunks and those awesome coral pants, and looking at this picture he should've bought that hat too--how great does he look!

 Chocolate exhibit at the David Zwirner Gallery in Chelsea. Not only could we eat endless amounts of Columbian chocolate, but we also had a meaningful and interesting discussion about the definition of art. Like those flats covered in boxes of chocolate above that are sold for $50,000 (but become worthless if any of the plastic rips), do you think that's really art?

 And a couple of subway shots for good measure! Next up: our Memorial Day celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment