Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Kindergarten Kid

T is officially a kindergartener!!! He ate lunch in the "bacteria" and learned a lot on his first day, like when his teacher says "Hands up top!" he is supposed to put his hands on his head and say "That means stop!'' I think I'll use that one at home because it made quite the impression on him. He also learned kindergarten bathroom etiquette and drew a picture of a NYC Moving Truck for his "first day of the month" picture. His teacher is just the most energetic, adorable person I have ever met and when T described her to me later he said, "she's little and she smiles all of the time!" Mostly, she's not a giant like his parents so of course he thinks she's small, but she truthfully does smile a lot. I like her already, and so does T which is even more important! But mostly let's just mention how T is a school kid now, and I'm a school Mom now, and this is my new normal for the rest of my parenting life. Wild, right?

T was up and ready for school before I even left my pillow, which is basically par for the course around our house. We spent most of the morning with him asking, "Is it time yet? I'm ready to go! What time should we head out?" That, and eating Daddy's famous waffles--T's request that James got up at the break of dawn to make happen. Such a good dad. We left the house WAY before school started because the little man couldn't stand another second of our tight quarters. We walked Daddy to our subway station, took some pictures, and then headed off to school.

Many-a-person thought I was dropping off both of my boys for kindergarten, and I'm sure Ever and his backpack would have been more than happy to stay with his brother in that brightly-colored classroom full of toys. But alas, after some tears (me) and anxiety (me again) Everett and I left a very independent, very happy, very eager little boy (T, obviously) in the hands of his new teacher. She had the parents blow a kiss and wave and then bam!, she kicked us out. Some kids cried and held onto their parents, but T was more interested in telling his teacher about all of the Magic Treehouse Books he's recently read! He'll be just fine, that Talmage-boy.  And just FYI, I don't think Everett totally minded having all the legos to himself either!

Last night we did our big back to school dinner and today we went out for a celebratory Pinkberry, and both times he said the best thing about his class was that Grace is in it. Seven kindergarten classes with 25 students a pop and the only two kids from church (and last year's preschool) end up in the same class. The odds were in our favor on that one! Happy first day of school Talmage Scott. Oh how we're proud of you!

1 comment:

  1. I love every second of this post. Not only is Talmage ADORABLE, but I could eat Ever up, and you and Jim look HOTT!!! I just love you guys and miss you so so much! Happy first day little T man!

    ReplyDelete