Monday, January 16, 2017

A few little fun things--Winter Break in LA

After spending the majority of our Winter Break sick in Sac, we spent the last week recuperating, cleaning, and then having a few little adventures. So much has changed since the days I would do big city adventures all winter with just the little boys in tow. I wouldn't trade my life now for anything, but I do miss those outings sometimes. I miss the big lights and museums, treat shops and Christmas tree crawls, the Santa's and the lists of Mommy Poppins approved activities. But then I see their faces in these pictures, their smiles and twinkling eyes, and realize that they don't care if we're at a fancy museum or the park up the road, they just want to be loved and have fun with friends. And they are loved by me, so very much. And as far as friends are concerned, we have the best this world could offer. We are blessed in so many ways--I'm glad Winter Break reminded me.


If you're looking for Talmage, odds are you'll find him shooting hoops on our new basketball hoop. He makes goals for himself and won't let himself stop until he reaches them. "Mom, I got 200 points. That's 100 baskets. I just had to keep shooting until I reached my goal!" And yes, he is barefoot and in shorts during the first week of January. I LOVE CALIFORNIA SO MUCH!!!


Even Everett said this outing was a success, which is say-ing some-thing! They rode their new scooters with friends and Ever said, "Dis was pwobawy da best scooter hill of my wife. Weawy! I'm sewious!" It really was awesome and I joked that this was the equivalent of sledding anywhere else. Again, I love LA and our "winter" sports!

Quinn's favorite pastime is ruining whatever the boys are playing with. She pulls apart their legos, she smashes their magnatiles, she rips up their papers and she even eats their snack. Her nickname as Baby Monster fits her quite nicely! One morning she was up to no good so I took out the train sets and asked Quinny to help me set them all up. You see, I'm understanding more and more that Quinn just wants to be part of the action, and sometimes--especially when the boys don't want her around-- that manifests itself in not so pretty ways. So this morning the trains were her turf, and the boys had to ask her to play in specific areas. My idea was a success and all four children played nicely together for THREE hours while I was watching in delight, and playing by their side. It was a good mothering moment, I savor those!


Our last hurrah was at the coolest park in LA with some great friends. We played at multiple playgrounds, scootered the best paths, walked around a duck pond and saw the most amazing view of downtown LA. It was just what my kids bodies and my soul needed. A perfect ending to our {not so} perfect break! 

No comments:

Post a Comment