Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Spring Break: Part ONE

Five things. And then five HUNDRED pictures. With more than five more stories. 
Because that's how I do.

1. My first long-distance road trip alone with the children was full of Quinn's screams, a broken ipad, 100 bottles for the perfect baby, hourly treats with riddles from Dad for the big boys and was, overall, a successful and not-too-horrible experience. I felt empowered and excited, after all, this is the year of the road trip and there's many more where this came from.

2. Being an aunt is quite possibly the sweetest experience in the world. I love each of them like my own and my heart breaks in half when I have to leave them. On my last night in Provo I held a crying Kai and Avery in my arms and told them how they made me an aunt for the first and second time and they were so special to me. Kai said between sobs that he wished I would stay "so many more weeks or just move in" and I meant it when I said I wish I could. 

3. Provo is AMAZING! I've only ever lived there as a BYU student and so obviously didn't see the family perks. Instead of people commenting about how I have my hands full or "have you heard of birth control" like I've experienced in LA, I was told countless times that I had a beautiful family, was a great mother and was so blessed. WHAT? Not to mention drive-thru pharmacies, free parking everywhere, incredible rec centers and cul-de-sacs filled with neighbor kids on bikes. I really do love where I live, but it's hard not to think for a half second that I'm making life SO much harder for myself! 

4. I hiked the Y with my four little ones in tow, as well as a few Tat's and the littlest McKee's. On that first hill I thought for sure we wouldn't make it, but we dug deep and darn it we did! We doled out cadbury eggs at every switchback and took turns carrying babies and backpacks and before we knew it we were sitting on the Y overlooking gorgeous Provo and BYU campus. All the way down I kept telling the kids how we accomplished something great and that Wigginton's can do hard things. I'm so proud of all of us!

5. Cora got sicker than she's ever been. We spent nearly all of our nights with her on my chest, fidgeting and miserable from a high fever and what we later learned was an intense double ear infection and possible case of strep throat. I had to cancel my plans with nearly all of my friends and was devastated not to get to see my NY girls. As always she was a trooper and I put her in the pack for our adventures and she came along for the ride, but it took nearly the whole week before she found any relief. Still, almost a week later I still wonder if she is fully healed. Poor Cor!

Did Quinn scream the WHOLE entire trip, you ask? Well, the answer to that is no. She was not screaming during this picture, until she realized she hated string cheese and threw it at her brother...and resumed her 11-hour scream session. 


We were welcomed to Provo with SNOW! It snowed overnight and only stuck for a few hours on Sunday morning but my kids thought it was pretty cool, and by the number of pictures I took so did I!


I love Ash and Logan's beautiful home they so lovingly share with me and my kids.

It was FREEZING outside but this California Mama didn't pack any cold-weather Easter best. Luckily they were good sports about it, way more than they were about taking a picture for me. 

Logan took and edited this picture for me and I am so in love! She is the absolute sweetest little friend.

We called ourself "Team Cousin" on our many adventures and they were the greatest (and naughtiest) team in all of Utah County.



Ash has chickens and Mad has chickens and T keeps begging for us to get chickens. He wrote a journal entry about his trip to Utah and talked about Aunt Ash's 6 pets--a dog, 4 chickens and a fish. Haha, it sounds like the beginnings of a pretty impressive farm!


We met up with Care and her kids for some jumping fun at Lowe's Trampoline Park. It was great to have so many cousins from both sides together for an activity. 




It was about this time in the trip that I realized Coco was really going downhill. Luckily Ash's doctors office was close and accommodating and they scheduled an appointment for my baby girl. 


The view from her doctors room--how about that view!

When Log and Ash went out for their anniversary date I loaded the seven cousins in the car and went through a couple of drive thru's to make sure everyone got the dinner they desired (McDonalds and Taco Bell!) Would I do this as a Mom? Never! But Aunt Heddy would do just about anything for fun cousin time! Everyone was thrilled and we had a blast staying out past bedtimes and rolling down grassy hills in gorgeous Rock Canyon Park.









It just so happened that the day we all met up for the first time was National Sibling Day. I got the cream of the crop right here and don't take it for granted. Love you Ash, Jord and Chasey!




Meghan was the one who organized this hike up the Y and I'm so grateful she did. What a great morning spent proving to ourselves that our bodies can do hard things. 






Ash the model!!! I love this picture sooo much!


VICTORY!!!


Why look at the view (or the camera) when there are 5 trillion rocks to taste? And look at that poor sick Coco in her pajamas.



Hunter has the kindest eyes and the sweetest disposition. He takes a minute or two to warm up to you, but once he does he never wants to leave, even if it's back to his Mom or Dad. It feels so good to be loved by a little one, and Hunter helps you feel the love. 

Simply coming to cheer was not enough, I had to make signs for my little soccer star. Oh gosh I love my Kai-Kai, and I was so proud of how hard he played and what a good attitude he had. His determination on the field just cannot be matched, and I had no idea such a little guy could have such skill. The icing on top was that in the very last minutes of the game he scored a goal! If you know me you know I'm loud and proud on the sidelines, but you've never seen me cheer like I did at this game. I couldn't have been prouder of sweet Kai and absolutely could not love him more.



These two fight and play and love and argue and defend and fight again. They're so cute together...for a minute!


Everyday we'd do a little tidying up in the afternoon between adventures. Evie was on shoe duty and Aunt Ash was so proud of his efforts she snapped this picture. That's a whole lot of shoes and an excellent job of organizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment