Sunday, November 5, 2017

Date day with BA

It was primary program Sunday and BA was sitting next to us in the chapel as we partook of the sacrament and waited for the primary president to invite the children up to the choir seats for their performance. Everett, the little guy who still only fulfills his primary talks/prayers/scriptures/parts 50% of the time, was fidgeting with the index card in his suit-coat pocket that had written on it his one-line part in the program, "Heavenly Father will bless me when I pray. I can pray anytime, anywhere." He'd pull it out, study the words he was supposed to say, and return it with a pat. Then before you knew it he'd have it out again, whispering the words to himself and then back to the pocket it went.

BA must have noticed this pattern and maybe she even sensed that he needed a little extra encouragement because before I knew it she leaned over and they were whispering secrets to each other with plenty of smiles. When the primary president called up the children Everett was elated and basically skipped to the stands...and that's when BA told me that she promised Everett that if he gave his part from memory and didn't use his notecard she'd take him on a special date to Target to buy a treat. I almost laughed because Everett is not usually one to like the spotlight and I doubted he'd even give his part with the card, let alone without it. I was nervous, but he looked cool as a cucumber up on the stand and could often be seen touching his chest where the notecard was housed, just to make sure it was still there (or maybe willing the words to be written on his soul!)

Well, I guess I need to remember never to underestimate the power of an incentive! When it was Everett's turn to speak he walked straight to the stand with his signature smirk painting his face, grabbed the microphone with his left hand and pulled it right in front of his mouth and in a strong, clear voice said his part...WITH NO CARDS! If you thought I was proud you should have seen sweet BA. She started hitting my arm and saying, "He did it! My boy did it! Did you see that?" and then she burst into tears. Knowing that people love your babies is such a fulfilling and comforting feeling as a mother, and I'm so grateful for the family away from family we have in this area.

A few days after the program found Everett in the back of BA's station wagon on a date to Target to pick out, what else, a new box of Pokemon! Even a few weeks later Everett treasures those Pokemon cards and the special box they came in, but possibly not as much as I treasure the memory of Everett's courage and BA's joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment